Hello!

jengeek

Reaction score
My name is Jen and I'm in CT - near Hartford. I graduated from RIT a couple years ago and finally moved into my own apartment recently and I'd like to get out and about a little rather than always staying home. I am hard of hearing and learned some sign language while at RIT but I'd like to improve my skills in ASL. Other things I'm interested in, include science fiction and web design.

I forgot to say - I'm planning on going to the Deaf Coffee Chat in Colchester tomorrow - first time attempting to go so I'm a little nervous, but if nothing else I can get a decent cup of coffee and a snack. :)

Hey Jen, my advice to you, get out there, put yourself out there, if you try, you will be amazed! I was nervous the first time that I went out and put myself into what i thought could be a "vulnerable" situation... I was scared that I wouldn't be accepted, or that I would make a fool of myself, but instead, I found where I feel I belong. I'm not nearly fluent in ASL, but I am trying, I am trying to learn and become better at the language that should have been taught to me when my parents first found out about me being HoH. put yourself out there, and if you want to talk to someone in a similar position... let me know.

My name is Jen and I'm in CT - near Hartford. I graduated from RIT a couple years ago and finally moved into my own apartment recently and I'd like to get out and about a little rather than always staying home. I am hard of hearing and learned some sign language while at RIT but I'd like to improve my skills in ASL. Other things I'm interested in, include science fiction and web design.

I forgot to say - I'm planning on going to the Deaf Coffee Chat in Colchester tomorrow - first time attempting to go so I'm a little nervous, but if nothing else I can get a decent cup of coffee and a snack. :)

AWESOME!!!! The best way to get better in ASL is to get involved into the community. Too bad you couldn't have stayed in the Deaf dorms....still the Deaf community is an amazing place...and I would imagine that American School for the Deaf has a lot of Deaf socials and stuff like that.

Hi Ash,

Thanks for the advice - I will definitely be making an effort to put myself out there by going to the Deaf Coffee Chat today. I'm hoping I find more events closer to Hartford though!

I too wish I'd learned sign language as a child but I also think my parents did the best they could with the information they had at the time. Because of where we were living the first 4 years of my life there were only oral schools nearby - and signing was discouraged by all of my doctors at the time.

I'd love to chat sometime. I'm going to get a aim or yahoo account set up soon.

Jen

Hey Jen, my advice to you, get out there, put yourself out there, if you try, you will be amazed! I was nervous the first time that I went out and put myself into what i thought could be a "vulnerable" situation... I was scared that I wouldn't be accepted, or that I would make a fool of myself, but instead, I found where I feel I belong. I'm not nearly fluent in ASL, but I am trying, I am trying to learn and become better at the language that should have been taught to me when my parents first found out about me being HoH. put yourself out there, and if you want to talk to someone in a similar position... let me know.

Hi deafdyke,

Actually I did live in the deaf dorm the first year - unfortunately two things happened - I had a HORRIBLE roommate (lots of conflict over stupid shit like her wanting to stay up all one with the lights on when I had 8am classes all week ...) and then there were the fire alarms going off every other night in that dorm. So while I did make some friends here, and did learn some ASL signs from them I was glad I could move out of that building the second year.

I also didn't realize at the time that what I was learning was more signed English than true ASL - I don't have the proper ASL grammar down yet. Hopefully I'll be able to figure that out quickly.

I've been checking ASD website to see of they have any events and haven't seen anything yet - but perhaps during the school year there'd be more? Either way I'll keep looking.

Jen

AWESOME!!!! The best way to get better in ASL is to get involved into the community. Too bad you couldn't have stayed in the Deaf dorms....still the Deaf community is an amazing place...and I would imagine that American School for the Deaf has a lot of Deaf socials and stuff like that.

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Hi Ash,

Thanks for the advice - I will definitely be making an effort to put myself out there by going to the Deaf Coffee Chat today. I'm hoping I find more events closer to Hartford though!

I too wish I'd learned sign language as a child but I also think my parents did the best they could with the information they had at the time. Because of where we were living the first 4 years of my life there were only oral schools nearby - and signing was discouraged by all of my doctors at the time.

I'd love to chat sometime. I'm going to get a aim or yahoo account set up soon.

Jen

Let me know when you get the accounts set up, I mainly use yahoo for chat, its zoom_zoom_runner@yahoo.com, just let me know who you are and i will add you.

You wouldn't happen to have lived in ashford in the 90's would ya? @jengeek

ashford? that's the place where my mom used to work and she worked in the post office in that town when I was little

Story is when i was little which was back in the 90's i had a deff friend who was more like an older sis to me because she was older than me, but she went everywhere with us, one day we just left to california and i was to little at the time with much say so, my good times were back then and i miss it but i never forgot my friend, the deaf girl i knew and i feel a bit heart broken that she did so much with us and we just went away without saying anything so I've been trying hard to find her but without a last name and being how it was long ago it's been so hard :/ weather she forgot who i was or doesn't care to know me anymore i would just like to know how she is doing and if everything is ok with her... I met her at our small apartments, first deaf person i ever seen and it was very unique to me and she was one of the most kind people i knew. Even when we moved to a bigger house she rode over and we still would hangout etc. My memory from CT is very strong. here are the two places i lived at that time. as well as the abandon field lots of us would go to and play at...not sure if the link grants permission https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.ne...45123303_100000233352134_368023_4975679_n.jpg

I posted something with a link of where in ct but not sure it went through.... so sorry if it pops up later with some of the same wording haha. but yeah she went lots of places with us and was the first deaf person i knew, bit older than me at the time and i was little..we kinda just left though without a word and it breaks my heart no one said anything :/ very hard searching with only a first name and no last..was long ago..if she forgot me, doesn't care or what ever, I just wanna know how shes doing..a very sweet kind person from back then and i was too little to do much about us moving..but she was always around even when we moved from the apartments to our red house..yet we just left without a word.. so i try to find her just to update her on what happened...was around 96-97 or so but i know i won't forget that awesome person. Just know we called her jen or jenny..one of those possible different spelling. on one hand yeah might be unlikely it's the same jen but on the other hand deaf jens in CT might narrow things...not expecting her to remember me but i just wanna let her know why we left and how atleast i never forgot she gave me a good friendship i never forgot as a little kid. we got back in contact with old friends from CT thanks to the net after years and we all always talk now...so i still have hopes to try to find my great friend..she was hard of hearing etc.. It really doesn't feel good to have such a good friend then you just go away..if you understand how i feel about it all it feels very bad :/ I'm sure if we never moved she wold have always been a great friend to me..not easy to find many clues but i remember many of the fun things we did. *sigh* was in Ashford though. The apartments we met was on KENT CT and then we moved to pembroke DR which you can find both on google maps kinda close to each other. near kent was the field everyone use to go in with the abandon basketball and tennis court. Satellite is best for the details of how it all looked.

Figured. Trying this as fast as possible.. we left with no word and i'm not sure how much that could of hurt her..Hopefully some point soon i can be done with the search but if not i hope my old friend knows we did not abandon her.well thank you for your time and farewell, stay safe everyone.

Last edited:
Back