Hello

Emilie95

Reaction score
Hey. I'm new to this site. I am hearing but I'm taking ASL in school. I am seriously considering become and interpreter. My parents aren't particularly supportive and can't understand why I'd through away my dreams of being a teacher so easily. But my ASL teacher isn't really allowed to talk to me over the summer, since I am still in high school and do plan on taking her class next year and I miss having our signed conversations during lunch. So i thought I would try and be apart of the deaf community. :)

Hello, Welcome to AD. I am new here also. Everyone seems really nice here. Hope you like it!

:wave: welcome to AD forum enjoy friends nice to meet to you!

welcome to AD! Becoming fluent in ASL doesn't mean that you can't be a teacher, even if you get your interpreter license, it really just means that your doors are open more than before. You can always become a teacher of the deaf, or do both. Try and explain that to your parents. Also, let them know that most people loose their hearing with age, so you are also trying to prepare for their future and yours. let me know if you have any questions. My parents, even though I am HoH and going deaf, don't understand ASL, and eventually I won't be able to communicate with them, but they don't seem to understand... they want me to just continue to read their lips...
if you want to i'm happy to chat

I've tried explaining that to them but they just don't get it.

Chatting would be great. =] how would i contact you?

hey add on skype smithtr

thank don't be email instead better skype
Thank

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Back