!!Hello!!

applepie

Reaction score
Wirelessly posted

Hi!.everyone:) I am a great conversationalist. My reason for joining is very interesting, heartbreaking and complex. It started with my love for poetry and self expression ( this is the iinteresting part)... then there was this Deaf man that came into my life (this is the heartbreaking part).. From it all i met a lot of great, wonderful and genuine people! I have a sincere affection for Deaf culture although its been challenging (complex part).......long story short, nice to meet you!

stats on me: Hearing, comfortable with ASL, and not allowing barriers to block my path!

..Well, eventually he discovered his interest in a Hearing woman did not fit his lifestyle :( I read threads where maybe the woman decides it was a passing infatuation. In my case, not true. I still love him very much..however, after us parting ways ..my love for ASL hasn't changed one bit. At first, I wanted to effectively communicate with my ex- boyfriend. Now, after all my vested energy in the community, my ASL class and educating myself on culture..I realized there is no separating the language from the culture. I sit on the perimeter, blessed to meet many welcoming, tolerant Deaf people. It's not easy establishing an association with any group...yet something very innate urges me onward..one day at a time,right?

I had my heart broken by a few Deaf men and I am Deaf myself.

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I do hope you are not trying to help him by feeling sorry for him as a Deaf man. That is where the relationship gone sour if you try to make decisions for him. Both of you need to share the respect and understanding of where both of you have in common like some of your likes and dislikes and so was he if he had likes and dislikes. Being in the relationship is not a bed of roses. Both of you have to work hard to make the relationship work. :)

Now that you are here, I hope you have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

..Really honestly I was raised to not consider deafness a disability. I guess really not many things can hinder one from attaining any hearts desire. My ex while we are both educated people, he is more educated then myself. He doesn't want for anything, a take charge kind of guy. I guess I saw him as a man who was deaf. This may have been a mistake seeing he heavily identifies himself culturally. I then began to learn more about Deaf culture. We are still friends?.. He is just so intellectually stimulating and gorgeous!..Thank you for the advice!..I like the laid back feel of this site ..

Shel-90..yup it happens to us women maybe even a few times.. One thing it reintroduced me to ASL. I attempted to learn years ago,It's the most beautiful, visually captivating language! Then I thought ok who am I really going to communicate with, is this practical?. I didn't know my community has a good size Deaf population. So now my hope is to be fluent and educated in Deaf culture. I have met so many new people, very tolerant of me. I want to communicate with my new friends :)

..Well, eventually he discovered his interest in a Hearing woman did not fit his lifestyle :( I read threads where maybe the woman decides it was a passing infatuation. In my case, not true. I still love him very much..however, after us parting ways ..my love for ASL hasn't changed one bit. At first, I wanted to effectively communicate with my ex- boyfriend. Now, after all my vested energy in the community, my ASL class and educating myself on culture..I realized there is no separating the language from the culture. I sit on the perimeter, blessed to meet many welcoming, tolerant Deaf people. It's not easy establishing an association with any group...yet something very innate urges me onward..one day at a time,right?

Sorry the relationship didn't work out, but that also leaves you available for something even better. Welcome to AD and hope you find the friends you are searching for.:wave:

New to group

:wave:I married my husband 25 years ago, and met his deaf brother and family. My introduction to deaf culture is primarily through them and I have come to realize over the years that either because of where we live or family reasons, I have seen no or very little deaf culture. My mother-in-law had rubella measles in her first trimester of pregnancy is how PLP became profoundly deaf. No inner ear cochlea hair developed. Over the years I have taken ASL at the local college but do not spend enough time around PLB or any deaf folks to have become very good at communicating wASL. His Sidekick phone wTmobile has been a Godsend as we communicate better by texting than we have in years. He is tired of the cold winters in Alaska and wants to move to a warmer climate. I totally understand his feelings and want to help him any way I can. This is how I came to research on the Internet today and found you all. I also found Deaf411 study of best cities for deaf to live in. Nice to meet you all!

Hello and welcome. :)

I too have been in a relationship with a Deaf man, not the same experience as you I know, but something in common. It has helped me choose my path for my future. Why? Even through the biggest challenges I shine through and in the end I have the greatest reward, this is how I feel with learning ASL and about Deaf culture/community.

I am same as you! I love deaf culture! I really want to continue practicing sign language but my classes are almost over. If you are interested in skyping let me know! :)

Back