Hello!

Sign4God

Reaction score
Hello! :wave:

My name is Raquel. I am 17 years old and an incoming senior in high school. I am hearing, but I would like to be in Deaf Education and possibly teach at the Texas School for the Deaf one day! :)

I was first introduced to Deaf culture when my Grandparents took in a foster child, Alma, who was Deaf. She taught me a few signs before she turned 18 and moved out, but I only had a passing interest. My Aunt Jana, who grew up with Alma, became fluent in sign language so she could communicate with her and later went to college to become a deaf education major. Aunt Jana, also would teach me a few signs here and there.

Much later in life...when everyone begins asking you what you want to do, what you are going to do, what you will be doing years from now...I told everyone I wanted to be an Elementary teacher. I LOVE KIDS! Still... something did not feel quite right about it, though I had wanted to do this very thing my whole life. Sometimes I would become interested in other careers, but I would always come back to teaching.

A lady, a sign interpreter, came to my church to teach us songs in sign language. I fell in love with sign language at that time. It was as if my hands were MEANT to sign. Although the sign language songs would probably be considered more for hearing than Deaf, I love sign language when it is not all flow-y and dramatic.

I have taken a few small classes during the summer, but I am by NO means CLOSE to being even an intermediate. However, I wanted to join this site because I am not really around Deaf culture where I live, and I think understanding Deaf culture is just as important, even more important, than being able to sign well. I have a good friend who is Deaf and he gave me my sign name! Haha...It is the sign for 'busy', but the "b" sign is replaced with a "r." (I am ALWAYS doing something...I am a very, very, very busy person!) haha :)

I hope that I can contribute to this site as much as I learn. I also hope to get to know you!!

Have a wonderful week everyone...and I am sorry this thread has been so long... :ty: for reading!

Raquel

welcome welcome "busy-R". :) have fun taking classes this summer, it's fun!

Thank you to both of you!

freckles-- I love your username! haha This summer I am actually taking classes online, so that is a new experience! haha :)

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Your introduction is not that long. You are doing good and right to introduce yourself on why you want to come on AllDeaf. You will learn a lot about us, Deafies and HOH. Have fun with us while you browse and post all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Back