Hello

mcohen

Reaction score
I'm new, and just wanted to say "hi" to everyone!

That's a very interesting quote. Can you explain it a little more for me?

It's just basically saying that interpreting uses mind, body, and soul.

Wonderful! Congratulations. What steps did you have to take. I'm pursuing the same goal.

Another question.... a friend of mine has a business that she just trade marked called "Hands for Hearing." Will that name be offensive to the Deaf Community?

Well, I took 2 years of ASL classes at a community college (1 & 1/2 of them complete BS where we would re-learn material we already covered in Intro to ASL in ASL 2), then took a 2 year Interpreter Preparation Program. Where are you located? Which school? Looking at an Associates or Bachelors?

As for the name, I'd say you should ask that question under the "Our World, Our Culture" bulletin. I have absolutely no say as to the offensiveness of it. :)

Well, I took ASL I and II at the University of Maryland Eastern Shore. That was years ago, though. I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. I don't really have a particular school in mind. From what I've been reading lately, you don't have to have taken ASL classes to become an interpreter now. I believe that if you are fluent in sign language and you take the certification exam, you can become an interpreter. I'm not EXACTLY sure how true that is.

Well, it can be sticky. Being fluent in ASL won't mean that you can interpret. It helps, but it is not what it's all about. If you were a CODA, you would probably do well on the RID test (If you grew up interpreting for your folks a lot).

At the college I took my IPP, it was technically required to take at least 1 year of ASL at that school. I took 2 years at a different school. I ended up meeting with the head of the program (who is Deaf) and she tested me on my signing skills and gave me the okay to start the program without taking a class there.

I imagine it will be the same for many programs. If you retained your signing skills over the years, schedule an interview for an IPP/ITP and get in that way. Of course, if you feel your skills need brushing up, hang back and take at least a semester of courses and be sure to mingle with the Deaf Community in your area.

Hello and welcome to Alldeaf! Can see that you're pursuing a career as an interpreter--splendid! Wishes you much success as well as having many rewarding experiences doing it! Also, hope your stay here in AD is a great one! ;)

:wave:
~RR

Wow

Everyone here at AD has been really friendly so far. I appreciate that. Thank you for your welcome! Can anyone tell me more about AD?

Back