Hello

Cejow

Reaction score
I joined this group to hopefully see if someone can teach me sign language better. My son is the one who is deaf. He is mentally disabled and physically disabled. We were going to have the implants done however, last year he got an infection in his ears so bad they had to remove everything the ear canals, middle ear, and the inner ear. His nerves were severely damaged as well so implants aren't an option anymore. I know a little but I really want to get fluent so he can learn a lot more. His hearing teacher is working on some and his teacher in school knows some but like I said I would really like to learn more so I can help him learn and I cannot afford the classes at the college and they would take like 3 years I think to complete and I want to get better now. My son is already 7 (mentally 1) and I really want to get cranking on this now.
If anyone has any info it would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

We use "Signing Time" Dvd series for little G. His little sister who is hearing is picking up on it too. They love to watch it.

Hello,

Welcome to Alldeaf and enoy your stay here ;)...

Sometimes they do offer free sign lanuage classes, did you try calling around to find out information regarding free sign language class?....

Also, there's are sign language videos/books that you can buy from Harris Communications also...

And some AD folks have VP, maybe someone can offer a sign language lesson for you and your son, you could alway ask and meet more people to get to know them well enough before doing so.... Just a suggestion here ;)

G'day,
Welcome to AD. Hope you'll benefit from your visit here. Good luck with learning ASL.
Cheers! :wave:

Welcome to AD and I hope that you will enjoy to look around the posts and forums!!!! :D

Herzlich Willkommen zu AD

Come and share your posts here with us. :thumb:

:wave: :welcome: to Alldeaf cejow!!! I hope you will enjoy being on this forum, and making new friends!!! As for learning to sign, check out the bookstores, and Harris Communications, they have such a wide variety of books, and also the local deaf school in your community if they offer any type of ASL classes. Good luck. Your son sounds like a beautiful little angel!!! Have fun posting, and welcome aboard!!! :cheers:

Thanks for the welcome and for the information. I am going to order a couple of those signing time videos.
We took my son to Sea World for his birthday and he loved it. We got an ASL interpretor for the shows we went and saw. His favorite was the Sea Lion Show "Clyde and Seamore". They were funny I'll give him that. He absolutely loved the walk through shark tank as well. :giggle: But he has always loved the water and fish. If we hadn't been watching him so close he would have gone straight in the Dolphin tank at Dolphin Cove.
Thanks again for the welcome and the information.

Welcome Cejow! Does your son have a syndrome or was it just caused by severe cerebal palsy?
Your son might be smarter then they think....it's pretty hard to test the IQ of someone who doesn't have much language and has physical issues too!
Not saying that he might not be MR, just saying that he might only be mildly-moderately mentally affected.
Do you know about the alternative communication devices out there? Search for augmentive communication......Exceptional Parent(http://www.eparent.com) has lots of good stuff on alternative communication. I think those would help your son in addition to Sign.
As for Sign in general, contact your state's School for the Deaf, their branch of NAD (National Association of the Deaf) Some NAD chapters offer mentor programs where your family gets a Deaf mentor, where you can learn Sign.

I just figured out how to find my messages. lol I couldn't remember where I put messages. lol
My son has 18 ring chromosome. Also after he was born he he a lot of complications due to merconium aspiration. He went 4 days in a box set at 100% oxygen barely holding his oxygen at 70%. So the poor kid came into this world and got kicked in the teeth. I think he's smarter than people give him credit for. But they know from CT and MRI scans there was brain damage. Last year is when we lost all hope for implants or anything to help him hear. He had an infection that was soooo bad they had to remove his inner ears, middle ears and ear canals. But at least he's alive today. We were hoping for the implant because his fine motor skills are bad just to help him out but the infection destroyed the nerve as well. The state Deaf school wont' take my son because of all of his problems and the school I am having a hard time getting a signing teacher for him.
Thanks for the info.

wow..i just read what u said about your son. i was surprised the deaf school wont accept him. thats not right.. you should fight for his right!! keep fight for his right. well.. maybe u should go to a social worker and ask for some informations where u can have your son enroll a school or special school with his special needs. i know there is somewhere out for him.. u just have to look thru really carefully. i know its a lot of work but dont give up.. smile.

Cejow said:
I joined this group to hopefully see if someone can teach me sign language better. My son is the one who is deaf. He is mentally disabled and physically disabled. We were going to have the implants done however, last year he got an infection in his ears so bad they had to remove everything the ear canals, middle ear, and the inner ear. His nerves were severely damaged as well so implants aren't an option anymore. I know a little but I really want to get fluent so he can learn a lot more. His hearing teacher is working on some and his teacher in school knows some but like I said I would really like to learn more so I can help him learn and I cannot afford the classes at the college and they would take like 3 years I think to complete and I want to get better now. My son is already 7 (mentally 1) and I really want to get cranking on this now.
If anyone has any info it would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

hey.. where are u from??

You're kidding me....He has Ring Chromosome 18?!?!?! You really came to the right place! Are you a member of the Chormosome 18 Research and Registry Society? (http://www. chromosome18.org) Do we know each other in real life or through a listserv? I actually have 18q- myself! Although my hearing problems are the result of the atresia..(no ear canals...so purely a bone conductive issue)
but the infection destroyed the nerve as well.
What about an auditory brainstem implant? Have you taken him to a major pediatric ENT center?
The state Deaf school wont' take my son because of all of his problems and the school I am having a hard time getting a signing teacher for him.
That's unusual.... Many Deaf schools specialize in multiply handicapped kids....even advertise on their sites that they serve the multiply handicapped.Have you asked the Deaf school for other resources? Oh, and I would STRONGLY,STRONGLY suggest that you join the Registry...also try and get your son tested for growth hormone defincency....The Registry can tell you a lot more then I can!

Back