Hello

Amorata

Reaction score
Just a quick hello, as I just stumbled across this site. I'm not deaf, nor HOH, however, I am self-teaching myself ASL. I have lots of questions, and hope I don't offend anyone with them. I have taken one short introduction course, but other than that brief introduction, everything I know is self-taught. I'm from Winnipeg, Canada. :wave:

Just a quick hello, as I just stumbled across this site. I'm not deaf, nor HOH, however, I am self-teaching myself ASL. I have lots of questions, and hope I don't offend anyone with them. I have taken one short introduction course, but other than that brief introduction, everything I know is self-taught. I'm from Winnipeg, Canada. :wave:

:welcome: to AllDeaf Forum. You need to go to the Deaf Class so that you will be able to communicate better with Deaf people especially in Deaf Events. Self-taught does not help making you learn to sign correctly. Also in the Deaf Class, you have to know about Deaf Culture.

But if you are just learning to sign with hearing people only, then that would be okay. :hmm:

I used to lived in Ontario for almost 20 years. I am getting old at 70 years old and need to be with my family here in USA.

Enjoy reading and posting here. :cool2:

Hi! It's wonderful that you're learning ASL. :) Self-teaching is good, but it'd be great if you surround yourself with the Deaf community and even taking lessons taught by a real ASL instructor. :) Welcome to All Deaf :D

Hi! It's wonderful that you're learning ASL. :) Self-teaching is good, but it'd be great if you surround yourself with the Deaf community and even taking lessons taught by a real ASL instructor. :) Welcome to All Deaf :D

Taking lessons being taught by a real Deaf ASL teacher. This is very important. A Deaf teacher know what it is like to be deaf and also knows about Deaf Culture than a hearing teacher who have no idea what deaf is like. Probably have no idea about Deaf Culture, either.

By the way, it is suppose to be ASL Class, not Deaf Class. Pardon me for putting the wrong one (Deaf Class). I meant ASL Class which a Deaf teacher or instructor will explain how to use fingerspelling and sign words including ASL grammar. Also must learn about Deaf Culture, too.

Thanks for all the warm welcomes... I would love to take an actual ASL class. Unfortunately, this is not possible at this time. I have known a few deaf people in my life, but they came and went, also unfortunate. I also have a couple deaf clients, but they sign way too fast, and I stumble trying to communicate with them. They seem to always prefer email. I hope to one day, take a course, but all I can do at this time, is self-teach. However, that's part of the reason I'm here... to help me better understand when I learn something new that doesn't make sense to me. Anyway... lots to read here, so I'll be off doing that. Thanks again for the welcoming messages. :)

Hey. I am glad that you have the opportunity to experience the joy of the sounds around. Thank you for trying to understand our subculture and imbued us.

Back