Hello

Kailla

Reaction score
Hi. I'm Kailla here. I was just roaming around the internet when I found this place. So I'm just kind of checking it out. I'm 14 years old with auditory processing disorder. I'm a student of asl. And have a desire to learn more about deaf culture.

I suppose I should tell you abit more about myself. I have been moved everywere accross the country since I was about three, from Hawaii to Michagan. Since thats the case I find it difficult to make friends. It doesn't help that I've been labled stupid or been teased because of my disorder, because i cant follow others as well. And im not the best in a class room setting, especially when the teacher gives a lecture and im suposed to take notes. Now im mostly a loner. I dont really feel like i fit in anywhere because I'm so different minded. Im not nerdy enough to fit in with the nerds, or social/cool enough to fit in with "normal" people. So Im just trying to find myself, I guess.

Im reaching out to the deaf community because there is this girl at my church who is hard of hearing. I was really interested in her signing that i taught myself a few signs. I've been practicing and studing for a while, though i dont know enough to be fluent, i really enjoy it. And im thinking i might want to become an interpreter one day. Because i know that there are other people that have had it worse than me, and i would want to help them out as much as possible.

Sign will..(refer to my sig)
Give it time, and patience, you will become fluent. Just a heads up.. for is Deaf its not a curse to.be Deaf but a gift.. as Deaf we dont view our selves as bieng disabled, or suffering an affliction besides hearie ingrained discrimination, or see ourselves as defective, in need of a solution or cure.. but rather though our sign we are enebled and empowered.
deaf, hh, more often then not see themselves as defiecent or.defective in need of a cure Or a solution , you will find both on this site.
Allot to digest...dive in...

Sign will..(refer to my sig)
Give it time, and patience, you will become fluent. Just a heads up.. for is Deaf its not a curse to.be Deaf but a gift.. as Deaf we dont view our selves as bieng disabled, or suffering an affliction besides hearie ingrained discrimination, or see ourselves as defective, in need of a solution or cure.. but rather though our sign we are enebled and empowered.
deaf, hh, more often then not see themselves as defiecent or.defective in need of a cure Or a solution , you will find both on this site.
Allot to digest...dive in...
Thas really inspiring. Thanks

What state are you in now? I wonder......Although you don't have a physical loss you could be served under the HOH label.....I know people with APD who have gotten services that way....Maybe you could look into learning Sign and that might be a really good way to get around your processing issues.
Most states have schools for the deaf, and except for NY State and Virginia there's not a dcb requirement for admission. You could also maybe go to Deaf Camp this year. Gally has a program for new teen signers to learn ASL.....there's a lot of stuff out there...... Don't be afraid to look into every and anything. Maybe this is where you'll find yourself and where you'll fit in!

What state are you in now? I wonder......Although you don't have a physical loss you could be served under the HOH label.....I know people with APD who have gotten services that way....Maybe you could look into learning Sign and that might be a really good way to get around your processing issues.
Most states have schools for the deaf, and except for NY State and Virginia there's not a dcb requirement for admission. You could also maybe go to Deaf Camp this year. Gally has a program for new teen signers to learn ASL.....there's a lot of stuff out there...... Don't be afraid to look into every and anything. Maybe this is where you'll find yourself and where you'll fit in!

Iowa requires an audiogram that proves hearing loss.

cooltext1879335321_zps0a259104.png

Im in Michagan now, to answer you question. I'll look into it. I really appreciate you kindness.

What state are you in now? I wonder......Although you don't have a physical loss you could be served under the HOH label.....I know people with APD who have gotten services that way

Ok, so I've looked and looked and the only thing I found was how apd is related to dyslexia and clutter. I dont think that apd is considered hoh anywhere.

You could also maybe go to Deaf Camp this year. Gally has a program for new teen signers to learn ASL....

Then I searched for deaf/hoh or asl summer camps, but I really doubt they'd ever let me in because they're only for people with moderate or greater hearing loss. They wont seem to make an exception for people with auditory disabilities.

Ok, so I've looked and looked and the only thing I found was how apd is related to dyslexia and clutter. I dont think that apd is considered hoh anywhere.

Then I searched for deaf/hoh or asl summer camps, but I really doubt they'd ever let me in because they're only for people with moderate or greater hearing loss. They wont seem to make an exception for people with auditory disabilities.

This is the program I was talking about: http://www.gallaudet.edu/summer_programs/youth_programs/immerse_into_asl.html
APD isn't considered audilogically HOH, but the thing is did you know that some Deaf schools serve hearing and normal IQ kids who use Sign as a first language due to things like apraxia, tracheostomies and cerebal palsy? If they serve those types of kids, maybe they could serve APD kids.
It's rare but can and does happen. Just a thought.......

Back