Hello!

warneri

Reaction score
Hi there, y'all. Wanted to introduce myself. My name is Inez, and I am a mother. That's why I am here.

I don't like to label my daughter as deaf, it just seems so weird saying, "I have a deaf kid." I don't run around saying "I have blonde kids and brunette kids." so why would I bother with that label? It just doesn't make sense to me. But the fact remains, and sometimes it is appropriate to inform others, my daughter is deaf. She was born with a bilateral sensineural hearing loss, and diagnosed as profoundly deaf at 11 months old when she had her first seizure.

There have been lots of strange and strengthening moments as a hearing parent of a deaf child, but not as much as being the mother of a child with epilepsy and neurological challenges. I am so glad that at almost 10 years old, she is FINALLY growing out of her seizures! This comes as such a relief because this kid didn't do anything unless she MEANT it, and seizures were no different. For years in her toddlerhood, every month like clockwork, we would spend at least 1 full week hospitalized, recovering from a Gran Mal full body tonic clonic seizures. For my little girl, her seizures were so intense she died several times. There is nothing more gut wrenching and painful in this world than watching your child die and feeling helpless to save them. Obviously, and thankfully, they've managed to revive her and bring her back to me every time, but i know from my own personal life experiences that moments like that change you, forever. My little Lizzie is the strongest person I've ever met, as well as the first hearing impaired person I've met. I've been told several times by neurologists that my child shouldn't be surviving these seizures, that they were seizures you would expect to do serious brain damage if not be totally fatal, to an adult. We're talking full on seizures that last over hours. We developed a first name relationship with many of the paramedics and 1st responders in our town. :\ Bittersweet....

Anyway, that's my story. She's done seizing, she's done cochlearing, and we're just hanging out enjoying the silence. When it exists.

(Deaf kids ARE LOUD! ha...I'm sorry if that offends, but this was one thing I did NOT expect lol...)

Hello and welcome aboard, Inez! :wave:

Sorry to hear about Lizzie's past seizures and I'm glad she's doing OK these days.

By the way, deaf people in general can be loud at times. Sometimes I have to tell the wifey to tone it down a notch. ;)

That's funny. I guess it's just hard when you don't hear yourself. This one time we were in our neurologists office and they had a big huge, very nice oak door, open. Lizzie LOVED closing doors and making sure things were sealed and kept propper, and while she was playing with the toys, randomly got up, walked over to the door and slammed it shut without batting an eyelash. Well, she was the only deaf kid in the room at the time, and all the sensitive neuro kids freaked out and started bawling, save for a few. I felt so bad appologizing to the other parents and trying to explain to them she doesn't realize how loud some things are. Some were understanding, some were understandabley peeved lol. Thanks for the welcome!

:welcome: that was a heartwrenching store about your Lizzie. What a relief that she is doing better re the seizures, hope they never return.

No, I'm not familiar with them, thanks for sharing! We have participated in some Hands and Voices days, I don't know if that program extends beyond our state or not though.

:welcome: that was a heartwrenching store about your Lizzie. What a relief that she is doing better re the seizures, hope they never return.
Thank you. It was definately a challenging journey, but it's shaped us into some pretty tough people. :) We're feeling pretty confident about her future on the epilepsy front, she has an appointment with her neurologist on monday to see if they are ready to take her off meds or not. They've been weaning her down for the last year since she's been doing so good the last couple of years. She's had auras (basically pre-seizure activity) without a seizure following, and they said that was a really good sign that her body is finally compensating and outgrowing whatever was making things so difficult for her upstairs. :)

No, I'm not familiar with them, thanks for sharing! We have participated in some Hands and Voices days, I don't know if that program extends beyond our state or not though.

Hands and Voices are national. What state are you in? Does she have other issues besides a history of seizures? Are you guys hooked up with the Deaf School or Deaf ed in your state? There's a lot of good resources out there!

Back