Hello

Deafbeauty

Reaction score
Um hi I'm new here and heard of all deaf.com trying to find more deaf people like me and um well I just graduated from my first deaf school tennessee school for the deaf I joined for my senior year and got back into signing too I love it and I'm not ashamed of my disability anymore grew out of that in my junior year . I did prove a lot of people that I could do anything even in my hearing school. I was the first deaf to join junior reserve officer in training corp (JROTC) I had a hearing aid before my first CI surgery last year in June I was able to hear much better than before I'm happy that I got it but the recovery was awful. At first the sound was so foreign to me. Everything sound robotic but a few days later my brain picked up the problem and fix it like that I was able to hear sounds the way it's suppose to be sound. My signing it took me five month of my senior year to get back on track and I love it. I had an accident one time fell on the corner of a cabinet due to my lack of balance. I had develop small minor problems but doctor felt my head and said it was fine no test needed. After I graduated and moved to Georgia I suddenly had problem with CI again it turn on and off while I'm wearing it and I get these headache and pain even when I'm not wearing the CI so have to wait until I get my insurance before making appointment. Honestly part of me regret getting the CI but at the same time I'm happy I got it because I can hear. Deep down I just want to fit in and I did when I became part of tennessee school for the deaf family. It made me so happy I felt completed. I'm the only deaf in the family and I'm the only one that signs but few are willing to learn to be able to communicate with me when most aren't. I learn to become comfortable with signing and the silent but there are times I'm forces to wear my CI so my mother can talk to me verbally so sometime it's not pretty but I'm glad to make more friends :)

Um hi I'm new here and heard of all deaf.com trying to find more deaf people like me and um well I just graduated from my first deaf school tennessee school for the deaf I joined for my senior year and got back into signing too I love it and I'm not ashamed of my disability anymore grew out of that in my junior year . I did prove a lot of people that I could do anything even in my hearing school. I was the first deaf to join junior reserve officer in training corp (JROTC) I had a hearing aid before my first CI surgery last year in June I was able to hear much better than before I'm happy that I got it but the recovery was awful. At first the sound was so foreign to me. Everything sound robotic but a few days later my brain picked up the problem and fix it like that I was able to hear sounds the way it's suppose to be sound. My signing it took me five month of my senior year to get back on track and I love it. I had an accident one time fell on the corner of a cabinet due to my lack of balance. I had develop small minor problems but doctor felt my head and said it was fine no test needed. After I graduated and moved to Georgia I suddenly had problem with CI again it turn on and off while I'm wearing it and I get these headache and pain even when I'm not wearing the CI so have to wait until I get my insurance before making appointment. Honestly part of me regret getting the CI but at the same time I'm happy I got it because I can hear. Deep down I just want to fit in and I did when I became part of tennessee school for the deaf family. It made me so happy I felt completed. I'm the only deaf in the family and I'm the only one that signs but few are willing to learn to be able to communicate with me when most aren't. I learn to become comfortable with signing and the silent but there are times I'm forces to wear my CI so my mother can talk to me verbally so sometime it's not pretty but I'm glad to make more friends :)

That is sad. Welcome to our club of having difficult time with hearing people like our families and the hearing society. You are not alone. We all go through exactly what you have been going through. I don't have CI. I wear a hearing aid just only one aid. My mother expected me to speak to her, no ASL. I was forced to go into mainstream schools and that is really tough not be able to understand what the teachers and students were saying. You are lucky that you went to the Deaf school in Tennessee and that is good. You can sign and communicate with Deaf people. Me, I had to graduated from high school and then learn how to sign with the Deaf pastor from his own Deaf church. I was so happy and felt a load of pressure off my chest or better word is load off from my shoulder. I was involved with the Deaf communities for many years in different states before coming to Canada. I am happy to be in the Deaf world.

So :welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I hope you enjoy reading and posting here. See you around here. :wave:

Hi, Welcome to AllDeaf. So sorry about your experiences with CI
Hope you are enjoying the benefit of two Worlds.

Back