hello

signcrazy

Reaction score
Hi, my name is billy riedel and I'm hard of hearing. I use hearing aids. I grew up speaking and have been learning to sign since sophomore year. I've picked up the language very quickly. I would love to chat with someone through video chat, but I don't have video chat other than Google+ hangouts if anyone wants to chat with me. Also I'm from Florida .
Here is my Skype name: kimonocrazy.

Last edited:
Hi, my name is billy riedel and I'm hard of hearing. I use hearing aids. I grew up speaking and have been learning to sign since sophomore year. I've picked up the language very quickly. I would love to chat with someone through video chat, but I don't have video chat other than Google+ hangouts if anyone wants to chat with me. Also I'm from Florida .

You in high school? That's awesome that you love the language.......did you know you could transfer to Florida School for the Deaf and Blind or Model Secondary School for the Deaf or a dhh regional program? www.fsdb.k12.fl.us
Model Secondary School for the Deaf
and there are also summer camp programs you could look into........you would LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Summer Camps for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Children and Teens

I actually couldn't transfer to the Florida school of the deaf and blind since I'm in my senior year of high school, plus I've grown-up in the hearing world. I do wish to get more involved in the deaf community. I actually went to FSDB to see a performance of their deaf dance troupe and I got to meet the students afterwards. Thank you for replying to my post.

I actually couldn't transfer to the Florida school of the deaf and blind since I'm in my senior year of high school, plus I've grown-up in the hearing world. I do wish to get more involved in the deaf community. I actually went to FSDB to see a performance of their deaf dance troupe and I got to meet the students afterwards. Thank you for replying to my post.

Oh that kinda sucks.......If only you were a bit younger....and there are a LOT of students at FSDB who started out knowing NO Sign!!!!
Are you looking into college? Look into Gally, NTID, CSUN etc..... Don't worry about having grown up in the hearing world....there are a lot more oral and HOH and mainstreamed kids attending the Deaf Colleges now. http://www.gallaudet.edu/,http://www.ntid.rit.edu/,http://www.csun.edu/education/dfst/
If you're interested in a more work training postsecondary experience, check out SWCID and the Adult Vocational Services at American School for the Deaf: American School for the Deaf: Adult Vocational Services

I actually want to become a sign language interpreter. Two of my local colleges have interpreter training programs. Which is great. I really want to meet more deaf people.

You being hoh means you would be an asl interperter working with a hearing interperter. Not as many openings for that. I sure would not want a hoh interperter

Actually I can hear much more than you think. Most people don't even know hard of hearing with how well I. Function in the hearing world. Besides, my hearing hasn't changed in years.

Actually I can hear much more than you think. Most people don't even know hard of hearing with how well I. Function in the hearing world. Besides, my hearing hasn't changed in years.

You might be able to become a 'terp but on the other hand you do have the disadvantage that your hearing isn't as good as a hearing person's. Just saying...........

I understand what your saying, but I feel I will make a great interpreter. I can't wait to start training once I finish high school. I love using asl. I think it is a wonderful language.

Hello I'm Megan, I'm 16 and from England; I am severely deaf and have been since birth, I wear two hearing aids. I attend a private school; its pretty good. I love meeting new people especially ones like me :) so hey guys

I understand what your saying, but I feel I will make a great interpreter. I can't wait to start training once I finish high school. I love using asl. I think it is a wonderful language.

On the other hand, why not go to NTID or Gally and get the whole deaf experience? I think you'd be surprised...there are a lot of oral and HOH folks at both campuses now......You could still work in the community, like work at Sorenstean communications or Gally or NTID or get a really good job through networking at Gally or NTID.

I don't have the grades or the money to go those places, plus I don't feel ready to leave home.

I used to have a HOH interpreter when I worked at UPS back in 1998. I had no problem with that.

I used to have a HOH interpreter when I worked at UPS back in 1998. I had no problem with that.

Yeah as long as I have my hearing aids in I'm fine and can hear pretty much everything. Sometimes I'm the one telling hearing people what they mist. It makes me wonder why I'm the one with hearing aids. The one thing that worries me the most is my ADHD getting in the way.

I don't have the grades or the money to go those places, plus I don't feel ready to leave home.

You might be surprised......I mean it's not like you're trying to get into Harvard......Did you have crappy accomodnations etc growing up, and thus your grades reflected that?That's actually really common.....fuck the mainstream that tries to get away with providing very minimal accomondations to us, thereby setting us up to fail1 I wonder....I know that FSDB is one of the deaf schools that produces a lot of college bound kids. One of the things I have noticed with Deaf Schools like those is that very often they will have a community or other college that has a large dhh program. Maybe e-mail FSDB and ask if there's a local community college where a lot of FSDB grads attend......that's one thing I wish I'd known.....that you get much better accomondations at a college where there's quite a few dhh people.
Plus, going away from home is AWESOME...it makes you more independent, and that's a big part of growing up.

Yeah as long as I have my hearing aids in I'm fine and can hear pretty much everything. Sometimes I'm the one telling hearing people what they mist. It makes me wonder why I'm the one with hearing aids. The one thing that worries me the most is my ADHD getting in the way.

Just wondering.....have you ever been evaluated by someone familiar with dhh kids? The reason I ask this, is that it's VERY common for oral deaf kids to be misdx with ADHD b/c they're putting so much energy into speaking and hearing, that it manifests as "ADHD"........of course you could legitimately have ADHD.....that does happen as well.

I understand everything your telling, but the truth is I'm more comfortable in the hearing world. I actually don't have to put that much effort into hearing. As long I have my hearing aids in, I'm fine. I actually take medicine for ADHD. I myself have a 3.5 GPA. I just would much rather to Florida state college in Jacksonville.

Hey guys im Geena, i have hearing loss in both of my ears and in the process of learning asl and always looking for people to sign with :) my skype is xobeachchickkox

Hey guys im Geena, i have hearing loss in both of my ears and in the process of learning asl and always looking for people to sign with :) my skype is xobeachchickkox

Geena, how old are you? You know about the various and sundry Deaf Schools and programs in NY State and on Long Island, right? There are also wonderful camps you could go to............Cleary School for the Deaf Mill Neck Family of Organizations
Summer Camps for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Children and Teens
Check out the NTID programs and the Gally program targeted towards new signers.....although the whole campus program is welcoming towards oral kids!

Back