Hello

SharpEdge0913

Reaction score
Hi!

I was born hearing and started to lose it about 10 years ago. I use hearing aids and my hearing is slowing diminishing. My left ear has 0% now, so no hearing aid just silence, and my right ear is pretty bad. I can pick up maybe 30% of words in a quiet room with someone looking right at me speaking up and enunciating, otherwise not much. The progression is going deaf at some point. Docs did every test, no luck in finding out why. Just genetic I suppose.

Work is good, they have accommodated me very well. I am really happy with my company.

My wife is great, we met when I could hear, and she will be around when I ultimately go deaf. We are learning ASL now and know about 12 words and the alphabet. Yeah I know, a long way to go.

My social life has slowly declined. I really can't communicate with friends and family much in person, so I do electronically. That is nice we live in a time where that is possible and can connect on a forum like this. But I do miss doing things with people. I only have a few friends left that I hang out with, and that is like once a year type thing.

So, I am here to meet some new people and branch out more socially with folks in the deaf and HOH community. Ultimately it would be nice to find some folks that are deaf or HOH to hang out with in person. That will happen naturally I suppose.

That is just some of my background. Hope to see you around and chat!

Hello, I go to Grand Rapids, MI area to visit my girlfriend a lot. I don't know where in Michigan you were, but if you were close to Grand Rapids, I would recommend some deaf events.

I do go to some Deaf events in the area. Hit me up if you want feedback on events in the area. Enjoy!!!

Thanks everyone!

@Dereksbicycles To far from GR but good idea on attending some deaf events - I'll have to find some local. Thanks!

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I hope you have fun reading and posting here. See you around here. :wave:

Back