Hello, yet another new one on board!

bwright6

Reaction score
Hello,

My name is Ben and I have a bilateral congenital hearing loss (severe to profound). I was mainstreamed my entire life and never knew anything about the deaf world- or at least chose not to. If I saw a deaf person I would put up my hoodie or cover my ears so they couldn't see my hearing aids. Sad, I know! I gave in and took ASL and have been loving it since. I took a course on the Deaf community as well and it has been a pleasure ever since. I am a student at OSU and plan to go into Deaf Ed as soon as I graduate! I can't wait.

I was a recepient of two cochlear implants. I don't wear them very often for they always give me headaches and it's too overwhelming. I rather like being deaf and am still getting used to the identity. Clearly it's not the only thing about me but it is still taking getting used to. My ASL level is at about... oh jeez, I'd say 4 out of 10.. maybe?

I look forward to meeting many of you!!

Oh WOW!!!! Your story could be mine!!! I went through the exact same thing as you did except for the CI part. I am a teacher for the deaf now and fluent in ASL. I grew up mainstreamed and oral without exposure to the Deaf community and like you, if I saw another deaf person, I wouldnt acknowledge them.

Welcome to AD!

Oh WOW!!!! Your story could be mine!!! I went through the exact same thing as you did except for the CI part. I am a teacher for the deaf now and fluent in ASL. I grew up mainstreamed and oral without exposure to the Deaf community and like you, if I saw another deaf person, I wouldnt acknowledge them.

Welcome to AD!

How wonderful to meet a teacher for the deaf! I have two quarters left of my undergraduate (English major here!) and then I'm off to grad school. Looks like I'll be going to OSU grad school but we'll see.

Welcome!! I am now learning how to become involved in the deaf community as well even though my entire family is deaf, we're pretty mainstream for the most part ;) so you'll be amazed at how many deafies can relate to you!

Hope to see you posting around!

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I am glad that you are here and be a part of our Deaf community. I do hope you have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Hi and welcome to Alldeaf. You and your girl friend are cute together.

Back