Hello to everyone. I am Nina, hearing, accent.

Nina

Reaction score
I use sprint ip relay because it allows me to make phone calls to other hearing people without being prejudged for my accent (if the hearing person has a problem with the operator's accent, I guess I'd never find out would I?).

Text based phone calls also allow me to not miss anything when making important calls where details are important and may come up in the future (ie - calls to credit card companies or utilities, calls where terms of service are being discussed, etc). I have the record on my hard drive, and a hard copy from my printer, instead of 'he said she said' when making calls from hearing person to hearing person alone.

I hope that this is not seen as an abuse of the relay service. I know that it is truly intended for those who cannot hear.

Hello and welcome.

I don't know what others are think but services need to be used. Otherwise they close down. My mum used to use my special library ticket to take out Audio books. She's not visually impaired but she liked listening to Audio. I had no problem with that either.

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I really need the relay service for the Deaf as I don't have a VRS service. I am still relying on my TDD/TTY device to communicate with my operators/interpreters so that they can relay to the hearing persons. I don't want the services close down if we could not have any new technologies like VRS or a cellphone with text. I don't have one and not plan on having one at all, unless I change my mind to try it out. Anyway, I hope you enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. Have fun with us. See you around. :wave:

Welcome to AllDeaf.:wave: I use a CapTel telephone which operates as a normal telephone, but the captions appear on a screen and it has caller ID. I was hearing, then hearing impaired, now totally deaf.

That's interest to know that there are some hearing who wish to not to use their voice to avoid by trouble with accent and use TRS.

I have read some of your experience through relay service issues. Thank and welcome to alldeaf

:wave: Nina
And welcome in board :) Where are you from, if I am not indiscreet ?

I am Single Sided Deaf pre-lingual so I can use a phone, but this piece of information may be interesting for my ENT doc and his patients :)

Back