Hello to everybody :D

MushyCookies

Reaction score
I am new, as you can tell i have posted this in the Introductions.
I am 100% Deaf, as half of my family is too.
Just wanting to meet some new and interesting people. So.... HELLO. :D
Anything i should know about this Forum?

Hello, I got your visitor message, but i forgot how to reply to your message lol. and yeah, i am a geek, into computers, video games, and mathematics & science. i'm re-learning ASL even though i'm deaf because i don't use ASL very much...

Hello, I got your visitor message, but i forgot how to reply to your message lol. and yeah, i am a geek, into computers, video games, and mathematics & science. i'm re-learning ASL even though i'm deaf because i don't use ASL very much...
Hello Quintillus
welcome to alldeaf :)

Haha, That's allright. I got the other message. I forgot for a minute there, how to reply. This website can be confusing for the newcomers.

I need to give you a proper welcome to the forum!:wave::welcome:

Welcome to the AllDeaf forum! I think it is cool half of your family is deaf. Is the deafness in your family genetic?

Hello, Thanks again. Yes it is a Family thing (genetic.) My grandparents, Mom, uncle, Brother are deaf. :D

Hello, Thanks again. Yes it is a Family thing (genetic.) My grandparents, Mom, uncle, Brother are deaf. :D

Thought so. It is nice to have family relatives that are deaf. It makes communication much easier!

What about you, are you deaf/HoH? The only one in your family?

I am 100% Deaf and I happen to be the only deaf member in my family. However, all of my family members know how to sign!

I am in both worlds, the hearing and the deaf. So Yeah, The deaf side.. is much easier to deal with.. well of course they speak (sign) my language :P Duh me.

I think that is awesome your family knows ASL as well. I know of a few families that would not learn for the one deaf member.

I am in both worlds, the hearing and the deaf. So Yeah, The deaf side.. is much easier to deal with.. well of course they speak (sign) my language :P Duh me.

I think that is awesome your family knows ASL as well. I know of a few families that would not learn for the one deaf member.

Of course, the family side with deaf members is the easiest to deal with, but with you being around hearing family members, it helps you to be armed with knowledge of how to deal with hearing people in the world.

Don't assume my family knows ASL as they all know SEE. My sister knows a little bit of ASL because I taught it to her.

Many many families will not learn sign language for that sole deaf member because of many reasons such as they not being aware of the existence of sign language, or believing that the member should get cochlear implants and be enrolled in speech therapy, or saddened because a curse was placed on them.

Yes, I feel somewhat lucky to have both sides of the world.. But sometimes that confuses you.

Oh sorry, I didn't know. So they spell? Or do they sign out the words? I must admit it, I use SEE more than i do ASL because of my interests, they requires vocabularies that ASL most likely don't have a sign for.

I applauds those that knows and learns it for their loved ones. But to those that didn't know about it, I feel bad :( I have heard the "saddened/burdened" excuses a lot in my life time . (my bestfriend's family, felt as if they were cursed)

Yes, I feel somewhat lucky to have both sides of the world.. But sometimes that confuses you.

Oh sorry, I didn't know. So they spell? Or do they sign out the words? I must admit it, I use SEE more than i do ASL because of my interests, they requires vocabularies that ASL most likely don't have a sign for.

I applauds those that knows and learns it for their loved ones. But to those that didn't know about it, I feel bad :( I have heard the "saddened/burdened" excuses a lot in my life time . (my bestfriend's family, felt as if they were cursed)

They sign out the words by using SEE signs. Well, just because ASL doesn't have signs for a certain word, it doesn't mean a SEE sign can be used. SEE is not a language, much less a formal one. ASL does not only focus on the sign itself but the conceptualization of the conversation itself.

Yes, Mexicans tend to think they are cursed if a deaf child is born to them. Sad huh?

It is normal for a hearing couple to grieve after learning their child is deaf, but many do not stop grieving because they don't understand that despite the fact that their child is not "normal", they can function just like a hearing person.

Back