Hello...recently lost hearing

Geo31522

Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

My name is John, I am 40 years old male from LONG ISLAND, NEW YORK with 3 children and I recently discovered that I am Bilaterally and Profoundly Deaf. The type of hearing loss I have is Sensorineural Hearing Loss.

About 9 years ago, I discovered that I had hearing loss in only my left ear. I wasn’t even aware of the hearing loss, because I could hear so well out of my right ear. The way I discovered it was due to the fact that I developed tinnitus in my left ear. Shortly thereafter, I suffered with bouts of vertigo and dizziness/loss of balance. And no else in the medical field could determine the cause of my hearing loss. So, because I was still able to hear so well out of my right ear I went on my normal life accepting the fact that I was deaf in one ear. And never did anything else about it. Big mistake!!

Fast forward to the present and about 3 months ago I began to feel the same symptoms I did 9 years ago (i.e. vertigo, loss of balance etc..). I followed up with my PCP who once again recommended that I see an ENT. Again the Audiologist ran some tests and discovered that I have profound, sensorineural hearing loss in both ears this time. The worst part about my hearing loss is that I can’t communicate, because I have 3 children and it is difficult for me to communicate with them. It’s frustrating because I still don’t know what’s causing my hearing loss or if I qualify for a cochlear implant. Got my fingers crossed though and I am hoping for the best!!

Anyway, I just wanted to let everyone know a little bit about myself. Sorry for rambling on. But I am glad that I found this site. I am sure that I will be able to obtain some knowledge and insight into my illness. I am also hoping that I can offer as much advice as possible.

Thanks,
John

:wave:...welcome aboard....there are many late-deafened members here with the same type of hearing loss....

Welcome. I know it's not easy for you since you are in fact, losing a sense that you have had your entire life. For the time being, it would benefit you and your family to learn sign language. You are likely to qualify for a cochlear implant, but you don't know how long it'll take. What I'm saying is, it's better to take action now rather than wait for the surgery. You need to be able to communicate with your family right now.

Regardless, I wish you the best on your journey.

I've a deaf friend of mine who is a Yankees fan. I'm sure that there are alot of Yankees fan on AD. Have fun. Enjoy!!

Thanks everyone for welcoming me!! I am glad i found this site!! I hope that i can give as much insight as i am receiving.

Best wishes to all of you!!

Welcome. There are certainly several New Yorkers here. Hope you find what you need. :)

Back