Hello...recently lost hearing

Geo31522

Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

My name is John, I am 40 years old and I recently discovered that I am Bilaterally and Profoundly Deaf. The type of hearing loss I have is Sensorineural Hearing Loss.

About 9 years ago, I discovered that I had hearing loss in only my left ear. I wasn’t even aware of the hearing loss, because I could hear so well out of my right ear. The way I discovered it was due to the fact that I developed tinnitus in my left ear. Shortly thereafter, I suffered with bouts of vertigo and dizziness/loss of balance. When I went to see my PCP he had recommended that I see an ENT. The Audiologist ran some hearing tests and that’s when I first discovered that I had hearing loss in my left ear. They ran an MRI and discovered that I have an Arachnoid Cyst on the left middle cranial fossa, causing mass effect on the left temporal lobe. Ironically, however, the neurologist & neurosurgeon that I spoke with did not believe that that was the cause of my hearing loss or any of the other symptoms. And no else in the medical field could determine the cause of my hearing loss. So, because I was still able to hear so well out of my right ear I went on my normal life accepting the fact that I was deaf in one ear. And never did anything else about it. Big mistake!! :(

Fast forward to the present and about 3 months ago I began to feel the same symptoms I did 9 years ago (i.e. vertigo, loss of balance etc..). I went to the ER and they claimed that I was just suffering from Peripheral Vertigo and sent me home with a script for Mecilizine. That didn’t work and as a matter of fact my symptoms became worse and I suddenly discovered that I was slowly losing hearing in my right ear. I followed up with my PCP who once again recommended that I see an ENT. Again the Audiologist ran some tests and discovered that I have profound, sensorineural hearing loss in both ears. Now that I am seeing a different ENT I asked him along with my Neurotolaryngologist and Neurologist if it was the Arachnoid Cyst that was causing me all my problems and they confirmed that it was not the cause. So I am at a crossroad, I can’t work, can’t drive and can’t even communicate (that’s the worst, because I have 3 children and it is difficult for me to communicate with them). It’s frustrating because I still don’t know what’s causing my hearing loss or if I qualify for a cochlear implant. Got my fingers crossed though and I am hoping for the best!!

Anyway, I just wanted to let everyone know a little bit about myself. Sorry for rambling on. But I am glad that I found this site. I am sure that I will be able to obtain some knowledge and insight into my illness. I am also hoping that I can offer as much advice as possible. ;)

Thanks,
John

Back