Hello! partially deaf girl here (can't even commit to being fully deaf)

TheBetsy

Reaction score
Hi, my name's Betsy. I'm joining this forum at my mum's suggestion: I used to be extremely socially confident and relaxed and loved being with friends but since my deafness got worse along with my tinnitus I've found it much harder. I guess I've become so used to smiling and nodding and pretending I can hear that I've lost the art of conversation?!
Anyway - I'm an aspiring comedy writer - I'm currently working on three projects - two with collaborators and one solo project (all sitcoms). What do you guys do?
I was living in London when I had a stroke at the age of thirty - I'm totally fine now - but I moved back in with my mum and stepdad on an isolated farm in Gloucestershire. Funny story: I also have kidney disease and epilepsy! Not severe though - I just feel weird when I have a seizure (it's temporal lobe epilepsy). So I'm used to being in hospitals! I love meeting new people and I just wish it wasn't so hard as everywhere is so loud! Being deaf is the only ailment I've really struggled with - it started at university and I got hearing aids just after I graduated.
So now I split my time between the farm and London, where my co-writers and most of my friends from uni live. Anyone else here from London? Or Gloucestershire, come to think of it?? It's my first time on a forum so be gentle!
xx

Welcome :wave:

I liked how you put "funny story" about your other conditions. You seem to have a positive attitude.

Do you know any BSL? If not, you might was to learn to widen your communication options.

I visited London last fall and learned a bit of BSL. I recall there was a deaf club in Gloucestershire but I didn't have a chance to check out the club on my trip.

http://www.gda.org.uk/community/deaf-sports-and-social-club-gdssc.aspx

Hello!
Thanks, I definitely try to stay positive.
I don't know any BSL... Maybe it'd be a good idea. The thing is my entire social circle is made up of non-deaf people. But maybe I should expand that circle! Thanks for the tip about the Gloucestershire club - I will definitely check it out! x

Hi ! I am around a lot of BSL= bull shit language living a condo ! The trustees are full of BS !

Aside from the eyeroll worthy comment by wdys (nice way to further 'deride' deafness and British Sign Language)... bullshit language....in a deaf thread...smh. Whatever...

Welcome to AD. You sound like you're on the right path with your positive attitude. It will take time to adjust to your deafness though I can't say much for that as I'm not late deafened (I'm deaf from birth). As I understand it there is a lot of opportunities for deaf interactions or BSL in London so would take advantage of that. Maybe convince friends-- its a good way to communicate in loud/super loud places for sure :).

Hi! welcome. Im a HoH girl whos new here too! Let me know if you want to chat. I've lived in London and Australia but am Canadian living in the us

Back