Hello! Newbie from NY

Emly1130

Reaction score
Wirelessly posted

Hello All!
I am new to this site! I am a married college student who recently began taking asl classes and am very excited to be learning this! My whole life I have known of asl as my dad has a degree in asl ( whole family is hearing, but we have had a few family friends who were/are not ) Im happy to have found this site and now has a way to make new friends to explore this new language/culture with!! But I must say I am kind o frustrated that I'm finding it hard to locate events local to my area... Does anyone else have that problem?
Thanks! Emly

Why do you think it is hard to locate about deaf events or asl meet up? I am from Long Island. There is a several of different deaf events/deaf social every month. The next deaf social event is at Dave and Buster's in Farmingdale on route 110 on this Friday, February 24th. There is a couple of places that have ASL meet-ups in NYC.

Welcome! I work on Long Island, but live in Queens. Hope to see you at one of the events in NY. Maybe one day I'll figure out how to get to Farmingdale. (Suffolk County?)

Same with me. I am hearing, my family is hearing. I don't have anyone in my family that is deaf. I had a friend that was deaf, and that was my only exposure to learning and communicating with ASL. We lost touch so. I'm still learning to sign, but don't use it to communicate, because everyone that I know is hearing.

I love signing. It makes sense to me, but it's only one way for now; me signing to non-verbal autistic children. I don't think I would be able to read someone else's signing back to me.

Sparrow

Back