Hello, New to forum

MelissaWatt

Reaction score
I am a 42 yr wearer of analog hearing aids, sensorineural hearing loss from MMR in utero and born 3 months premature. Mainstreamed in school my entire life, oral/lip reader and know very little ASL. Tried digital hearing aids ( don't like all the extras) and having a break down because I can no longer find my hearing aids from any of the companies. I have two working pairs that are between 10-25 yrs old cause I can't remember what pair is the oldest. Currently wearing a custom pair of analog hearing aids and the trim pot is different and the settings are not working yet for me to be comfortable and getting frustrated. Family doesn't understand why I cry all the time with this problem. I loved my life with my other hearing aids as simple and never questioned myself or my hearing loss. Now very depressed and major anxiety every day for the last two months. I know I can keep sending them off to be repaired. Just don't know what to do at this point. Please just don't say.. accept it and move on. For me, it is like losing a baby..
Sorry if this is negative. I need a place to fit in and live again like I used to.:sadwave:

Try again with digital. You can get some programmed to act exactly like analog.

I just came off a pair of digitals. My audiologist could not get the reverb off the aids. She was just as frustrated as I was and I ended up on meds from trial period. Not keen on trying again anytime soon.

:aw: My husband loves his digitals. He was a mainstream solitaire, raised Hearing.
Rubella Syndrome.

I was also born premature, think about same as you. Was in NICU for some time. Doc's told my mother I was missing inner ear bones but that's all I know. Delayed speech and language problems <don't know if missed mild HL as this was '71>. I first noticed hearing loss about 5 years ago, maybe.
Hoh here-

Family noticed mine at 2 yrs old, surrounded by cousins all the time and my pop was a fire chief at the time. Came home early one day on the truck. I was always the last one to hear him coming. Bad eyes as well, fixed with lasik and prk about 10 yrs ago. I am just having a hard time letting go of what was. I did the digitals twice now. This time it was so bad that I want to just go back to my old analogs and wait til the actually die, die before I have to move on. I am not sure what I am on the audiogram nor how to explain it to everyone. I am hard of hearing, not completely deaf yet. Scared out of my mind on my future. Took meds for the first time last night. I don't like how i feel now. ugh
No digitals right now. I need my brain to settle down.

I hope you're getting some help for your depression and anxiety , not having the right kind of hearing aid is a drag but getting very depress about sound like other things are going on. I wanted to send you a PM but I can't.
Some people do bring in their old HA to their audi to donate maybe you could see if your audi has any analog HA you could have.

Yes I just went to the doctor yesterday to get some help with the anxiety and depression. I just found out that I could've had one more pair of and logs from Rextown six years ago if my insurance company wouldn't have worked with my audiologist instead of trying to send me somewhere else out of reach at the time. My husband was fixing to retire from the service and the insurance wouldn't listen to me when I told them I already had an audiologist willing to work the details out. My husband was getting ready to retire and we wAnted one last pair just in case the ones I had would encounter a problem . Rexton won't even try to fix the minor stuff. It just kills me to know that I would of had this one and it would of lasted me a long time.

I have been looking on Ebay and Amazon. I think I am pretty much out of luck on anything at this point.

Melissa,
I do not have any suggestions for you re:your hearing aid issue. I wanted to express my empathy regarding your feelings about your hearing aids. I 'miss' my hearing aids when I am not wearing them. Thank you for sharing your feelings. God bless.

Thank you PinkRibbonAngel. I am currently wearing a pair of custom analog. I am trying to figure out how to articulate what the problem is with what I don't like about it. I am never going to digitals even if it means me repairing the old analogs til the literally break. The audi I am working with told me that he will take as long as I need to get used to these. I really believe the problem is that there is three trim pots instead of the usual four for gain, power, active high frequency, and low tone. Some point the hearing aids have converted, I don't know when.
I will hear from my Audi tomorrow, my husband called him today to tell him what was going on considering I did not want to go in or call him to bother him. it has been two weeks. I don't' want to medicate myself and keep having these breakdowns.. Yes, it is that bad. I can hear, but there is something grating my nerves about them and I just can't seem to pinpoint the issue. All I want is the old settings I had on my analogs and be left alone.. ( yes, I know that was spoken so badly ). I was just fine til June. My aids just needed a new dry box. ugh..

Last edited:
Back