Hello! New HoH from Maine

Rubiegem8280

Reaction score
:wave::wave:
Hello,
I'm a soon to be 30 single mom of a beautiful young lady who just turned 4 in March. I learned this week that my recent sudden drastic decline (not my first though) in hearing was due to Cochlear Otoschlerosis and am being sent to Boston for followup. I am formerly an Rn-BSN but had to give up working due to other health issues and working with my daughter who is moderate on the Autism spectrum and still learning verbal skills. I began losing hearing my senior year of my nursing school but did not know till after my daughter was 2, when I got fitted with bilat HA's through the HearNow program and then never followed through with finding out the why of my mild to mod loss. Now I have been forced to figure out how to lip read as much as I can and manage for a month since the last decline. I had minimal exposure to ASL as a kid and remember some, as well as teaching my daughter "baby signs" since her diagnosis but am far from being fluent! I am planning on taking some beginner classes again now, though!! My current deaf and HoH friends are being kind enough to encourage and walk with me through this but it is nothing like experiencing this all new change myself! :hmm: I could definately use all the support and friends who want to join me on this adventure!

Last edited:
Hi, Rubiegem! I see that you've already found the late deafened thread. Welcome to AD! :wave:

I did! I found it, odd enough on an internet search to find out exactly what my diagnosis meant.... it lead me to AD... And I have to wonder if my friends, those who teach, terp, and those in the community are on......

Rubie, I do know that some autistic kids use ASL as an ACC sort of thing....(alternative and augmentive communication) But the thing is, I can't remember if those were kids who used a handful of Signs (ie significently affected) But maybe you could have your daughter learn ASL through early intervention or her IEP.

Rubie, I do know that some autistic kids use ASL as an ACC sort of thing....(alternative and augmentive communication) But the thing is, I can't remember if those were kids who used a handful of Signs (ie significently affected) But maybe you could have your daughter learn ASL through early intervention or her IEP.

:ty:
I started with sign on her IEP but the school didn't have anyone fluent to teach her (and me) and they went with PECs instead. There is minimal funding in our area to get someone in the school for ASL for her.... She picked up the PECS really well in her school along with the signing I am trying to teach her at home so we have some of both going on! In fact this morning she signed very clearly " more eat please" to me! I have some case management who has offered to get some wrap funds for me to start a beginner ASL class this summer (or fall if it is to late to get a summer class.) :hmm: I am not giving up YET!

welcome to our little world and we are glad to have you.
before you have an implant, check out the new gene therphy that is the future of deafness and might, that is might, make implants unnecessary. good luck to you and your wonderful daughter.

Back