Hello New here

aslstudent29

Reaction score
Hello,
I am hearing and I am currently taking ASL 101. My son has a tracheostomy because of being born very prematurly at 26 weeks. He can hear but cannot speak, so I have been teaching him some signs. I am finding my ASL class to be very interesting. I have learned a lot about the Deaf culture that I was unaware of. I am currently writing a paper on Koko the signing Gorilla and was wondering how the Deaf community felt about Koko. Thanks.

WELCOME!!!!!! Woohoo!!! I commend you for giving your son the gift of ASL...cards and commuication boards are nice, but they are so BULKY to carry around...you always have your hands available! Did you find this board through tracheostomy.com?
Are you looking for information on how to get your son fluent in ASL? Look into your state's branch of NAD for possible mentor or EI programs where you can learn Sign....also maybe ask about having a TOD come and visit to teach your family sign!

Hello and welcome to Alldeaf aslstudent29! I've seen a story about Koko awhile back, although I can't remember too much of it....I'm sure there might be a few AD members here who may be more helpful and give you their own insights...anyhow, hope you'll enjoy your stay here in AD!! ;)

Herzlich Willkommen zu AD

Come and share your posts here with us :thumb:

Hello!

Welcome to Alldeaf and enjoy your stay here ;)

welcome! I am sorry to hear about your son, and I wish him good luck!

:wave: :welcome: Hello aslstudent29 and welcome to Alldeaf. I hope you have enjoyed your stay on this forum.

I know with all your love and guidance, your son will have the gift of communication he truly deserves, I commend you for all the efforts of helping him to communicate.

Deafdyke gave you some wonderful ideas of resources, check them out to help you further along. Good luck with you son, and I hope all goes well for your family.

Good luck and God bless. :hug:

Thank you all for the warm welcome and great advice. I will definatly look into all of the resources that are out there! We hope that one day he will get his trach out and be able to voice, but if not I'm glad that he will have a way to communicate. I just wish that more people knew ASL. Thanks again.

Introduce myself

I have no idea about this... I hope I can send to people about this... that very interesting deaf forum...

I live from Trinity, TX (Huntsville, TX and around 100 miles to Houston, TX)

I graudate LSD 1981

I have owner business catalog.... Giftsunlimited

:lol:

Rachelle Guidry
WWW.Giftsunlimited.ws
WWW.Affluenceunlimited.ws

Back