Hello. It's about my Cochlear Spectra 22

JoeyDeafNinja

Reaction score
I still using old Cochlear Spectra 22 however I am not able to use it at all because magnet, magent holder thingy and cable for it are lost. I have been looking through ebay for these parts and no luck. Anyone know where I can find these parts?

I know it is old but it is all I have. I can't afford a new one. I have no idea if my Cochlear Spectra 22 are upgradeable. Which I don't have to take surgery to replace.

Contact Us

Here is a link to contact information for Cochlear America. It would be best to ask them your options.

Thanks! I was on live chat and got information.

"I understand you are interested in the N22 Freedom Upgrade and I can certainly provide you with additional information. The cost of the Upgrade is $7,850. Our Nucleus 22 and 24 recipients could potentially have new compatible technology available to them in early 2015. Please know this is our best approximation, and this time frame may vary depending on research and development timelines, manufacturing processes, and the FDA approval processes."

I don't need to have surgery again. So I hope my medicare can cover this.

Your Cochlear N22 implant is upgradeable. Its doesnt matter how old your implant is. Cochlear is committed giving new processor to new and old implant recipients without need for surgery. Go to your CI clinic and order new Freedom processor. I hope you will like it!

If Cochlear won't sell you the parts necessary for your current processor anymore, that is a pretty good reason for medicare to cover a new processor.

if you have Medicare coverage, then you should be able to get the upgrade. Your Spectra is certainly more than 5 years old, am I right? Medicare will cover upgrades when the old processor is at least 5 years old, and I'll bet the Spectra is much older than 5. You might still have to pay for 20% of the cost though, as Medicare only covers 80% (unless you have a 2nd insurance that could help).

if you have Medicare coverage, then you should be able to get the upgrade. Your Spectra is certainly more than 5 years old, am I right? Medicare will cover upgrades when the old processor is at least 5 years old, and I'll bet the Spectra is much older than 5. You might still have to pay for 20% of the cost though, as Medicare only covers 80% (unless you have a 2nd insurance that could help).

His Spectra 22 is more than 10-19 years old (depending when he got it lol) Spectra 22 released in 1994! He NEED an upgrade! :shock:
Im sure Medicare will cover new upgrade

then Medicare should totally cover the upgrade with no fuss! Definitely work with Cochlear, your audiologist's office, and they can help you with the upgrade process and submitting the information/bill to Medicare.

His Spectra 22 is more than 10-19 years old (depending when he got it lol) Spectra 22 released in 1994! He NEED an upgrade! :shock:
Im sure Medicare will cover new upgrade

dude, that's the same year when I was born! (god, I feel so old)

What a kid! How can you feel old? You need to go back another 52 years to find mine.

Last edited:
I was born an year before they released that thing! But I got it when I was 3 years old. Yep, my processor is 17 years old. It still works even some pieces are falling apart. Two years ago I stopped use it because I lost the part for it and there are no replace. I figured it is time to upgrade and turn out it is upgradeable!

Back