Hello! I'm writing a research paper.

theseoulian

Reaction score
Hey guys. I am Sarah Won from California.
I am a senior in high school. I am Hearing :)
I started learning ASL last year. I am writing a research paper about Deaf culture in America. I was hoping I could interview some Deaf and Hard of Hearing people in this thread.

First I would like to introduce my thesis for my research paper. My thesis is that there are 3 key factors that tie the Deaf to Deaf Culture: common language(ASL), similar experiences, and lack of connection to the Hearing world.

These are the question that would help with the research.

1. What is your name? (first and last)
2. You born Deaf?
3. Your parents Deaf?
4. Your parents sign?
5. If not, hard to communicate with them?
6. You go to mainstream school? Or Deaf school?
7. You prefer ASL? Why or why not?
8. You have bad experiences in Hearing world?
9. You trust Hearing people?
10. Why Deaf people not connected to Hearing world and people?

Please help me. I would appreciate it so much.
You can reply to this thread or email me at swon1994@gmail.com
Thank you so much.

Suggest you read Michael Chorost's book "Rebuilt" 2005 which will "enlighten" you re : American Deaf.

how do you explain if someone who was born profoundly deaf in hearing family so do you call deaf kid who have lack of connection to the hearing world?

Just curious

Many years ago, I wanted to test drive a 4 cylinder 1993 Wrangler 5 speed manual at a dealership. They would not let me because I was deaf. I just walked out because I thought if someone wanted one of those crappy 4 cylinder TJ Wranglers, they can have it. I ended up spending my money on a hunter green 1991 Grand Wagoneer with a powerful 360 v8.

How many people are you looking for to back up your points? You may have better luck trying to find research that supports the points as well, depending on your time restraint. Sometimes the community can be a little shy to give out such information so willingly. FYI :) I have also had difficulties myself and just make sure you are extremely clear with what you are using the information for. If you need any more help, I would love to discuss what I have learned, although I am a hearing person that is just learning ASL for the heck of it. I cannot help how I am intrigued by the people as much as the language either! Good Luck!

I do also think the last question should be clarified. I think I know what you are trying to say, so help me out if I am off.

As I see it, the no matter Deaf or hearing you are always in the hearing world. The problem you may be referencing could be a couple of things. One, the Deaf community is proud and would like to separate itself from the hearing community. Two, a MAJOR part of American hearing culture is music and movies and the Deaf community either do not have care about trying to inform themselves of those things, plus, closed captioning for movies and TV have only been regulated in legislature since 1991. So some of these hearing culture references are difficult to follow. So, looking at it another way, as people become more comfortable and belong somewhere, they will do things that are comfortable to them and that they enjoy.

I hope I am not overextending here. Let me know where I could be wrong or missing something! I am still learning and know nothing of what it is like to be Deaf, not that I could, but understanding how people feel is very important to me!

Back