Hello, I'm Kevin

Kevin73

Reaction score
Hello! My names Kevin .I live in Arkansas but born and raised in Arizona I grew up HOH and attended Arizona State School for the Deaf and Blind (ASDB) . I was completely deaf in my right ear and had about 35% loss in my left. I lost the rest of my hearing suddenly one August night at work in 2001 and received a CI implant May of 2002.

I use the Sprit body worn and the BTE ESprit3G since both processors are no longer working I’m in the process of upgrading to a N5. I look forward to getting to know people here and forging new friendships

Very cool that you're HOH and attended Deaf School. GREEN with envy. Were you a res student? What was it like going there? What a neat experiance. We have a couple of Deaf School alums, as well as one current Deaf School student. (JoeyDeafNinja)

Yes, I was a resident there. I went home on most weekends and I absolutely loved it and really enjoyed the dorm life. I went to regular public school up until grade 8 and then went to ASDB for grades 9 & 10 my parent pull me out of school at the end of 10th grade.

Yes, I was a resident there. I went home on most weekends and I absolutely loved it and really enjoyed the dorm life. I went to regular public school up until grade 8 and then went to ASDB for grades 9 & 10 my parent pull me out of school at the end of 10th grade.

Oh wow! That sounds awesome....do you think that a lot more HOH kids would opt for Deaf School placement if they knew abt it? I really think they need to promote res school as kind of an independent living opertunity for kids in middle and high school. Pro mainstreamers have NO clue how awful it is being mainstreamed in middle and high school....bet if they did, res school enrollment would skyrocket!!!!!! You'll have to tell us all about your adventures at ASDB!

Oh wow! That sounds awesome....do you think that a lot more HOH kids would opt for Deaf School placement if they knew abt it?
Yes I do.
Pro mainstreamers have NO clue how awful it is being mainstreamed in middle and high school
Very true. I remember never really feeling I fit in anywhere and felt like an outcast. I couldn’t interact socially with other students because of my hearing. I don't think that can be very healthy for a young persons’ mentality to feel as if they are outcasts and its extremely difficult to develop social skills.
You'll have to tell us all about your adventures at ASDB!
When I first started ASDB, I didn't know how to sign. I remember after school I was in the dorm, and the dorm supervisor (Pretty College student who I had a mild crush on) was showing me flash cards, and I was to show the sign for the picture on the card. A dorm mate happened to walk in and see what we were doing, he decided to stand behind her and give me a helping hand and show me the sign with out her knowing. I should have known he wasn’t giving me the correct sign, because he was standing behind her and couldn’t see the flash card. I ended up extremely embarrassed after realizing I just gave her the sign for intercourse.
The food was great and was much better than what I was accustomed to at home. There was always plenty activities after school on campus or off. It was nice having a full indoor basketball court and gym to go to on campus. I had my first real girl friend soon after starting school there, and that was a major confidence boost. The girls at the mainstream schools I attended never gave me the time of day. I’ll share more as they come to me. Its been 22 years since I was there. I’m 38 now.

Yes I do.

Very true. I remember never really feeling I fit in anywhere and felt like an outcast. I couldn’t interact socially with other students because of my hearing. I don't think that can be very healthy for a young persons’ mentality to feel as if they are outcasts and its extremely difficult to develop social skills.

When I first started ASDB, I didn't know how to sign. I remember after school I was in the dorm, and the dorm supervisor (Pretty College student who I had a mild crush on) was showing me flash cards, and I was to show the sign for the picture on the card. A dorm mate happened to walk in and see what we were doing, he decided to stand behind her and give me a helping hand and show me the sign with out her knowing. I should have known he wasn’t giving me the correct sign, because he was standing behind her and couldn’t see the flash card. I ended up extremely embarrassed after realizing I just gave her the sign for intercourse.
The food was great and was much better than what I was accustomed to at home. There was always plenty activities after school on campus or off. It was nice having a full indoor basketball court and gym to go to on campus. I had my first real girl friend soon after starting school there, and that was a major confidence boost. The girls at the mainstream schools I attended never gave me the time of day. I’ll share more as they come to me. Its been 22 years since I was there. I’m 38 now.

Like you, I am HOH and I started a Deaf School in the 9th grade. I did not know ASL, Felt like an outcast at first and some of the students would call me hearing. (index finger to the forehead) I ended up learning ASL with the help of others, and made alot of friends. I loved it there.

Yes I do.

What neat stories!!!!!!!! I really think if deaf schools advertised that kids who didn't know ASL, could come and learn it and also take the advantage of mainstream courses, they would see a HUGE uptick. So jealous of you getting to learn ASL and doing the res school thing...and wow.....22 years ago! Eeekkkk.... I was only in third grade, and had no clue that there were even programs or schools for dhh kids.....if only I had known!

Kevin...I was born deaf...I was mainstreamed in school...I can talk/read lips well as I was told...Until my age 15 when my good friend introduced me...deaf camp...for the 1st time, i feel fit rite in...I learned ASL since then...I love it... :) I used to talk on phone with high volume...Til about 8 yrs ago, I lost some of my hearing...I wear my hearing aid on left ear...Total deaf on my rite ear...I can't stand wearing my hearing aid sometimes..Sometimes, I enjoy wearing my hearing to listen to music in YouTube...Or I do wear it when i hang out with hearing people...I'd prefer with a deaf guy than hearing guy...I've tried dating a hearing guy...He doesn't understand deaf culture...Or I couldn't understand what he said whole sentence...Or I feel left out in hang out with his hearing friends. Kinda frustrating...I realized I definitely prefer have a deaf guy, which I'm still looking for Mr. Rite deaf guy...I find that interesting...

Hey there..I was mainstreamed all the way to the end of high school in Phx, AZ. However, my deaf brother attended PDSD.

:welcome: to AD!

Back