Hello I'm fairymist

fairymist

Reaction score
]Hi I'm fairymist. I'm OHOH and have been losing my hearing in both ears over the last 13 years.I'm also ' not out" about my hearing loss due to be scrwed over y too many people when they learned I have a hearing loss.recently I have lost even more hearing severe/moderate bilateral hearing loss. I don't have a lot of community support for OHOH . I do work and the services that are in our community are only available during the hours I work. I work part-time as a teacher .I work with people who have sensory integration processing difficulties and I love it. I also teach a small group of high school and junior high school students. I fgured since I can't find support and friends in my community maybe I can ONline. Fairymist[/COLOR]

:wave: :welcome: to AllDeaf fairymist!! I hope you will enjoy your stay on this forum. You will make many new friends, everyone is wonderful here. Welcome aboard, fairymist, and have fun posting.

G'day fairymist,
Welcome to AD, and enjoy your stay. I hope you'll find what you're seeking.
Cheers! :wave:

Hello Fairymint! :wave:

Welcome to Alldeaf and enjoy your stay here ;)

Welcome to AD, Fairymist! I hope you will enjoy the site as well as I did and still do. :)

I am Hoh and am a mother to 6 yrs old son. My son was diagnosed with Sensory Integration disorder 2 yrs ago and have therapy for that. he have improved so much since then. I am real proud of him. :)

Have you heard of the group in Yahoo called Sid_forum? I am member of that group. Maybe you can join and interact with other members? Just a thought! :)

Enjoy AD and happy posting.... :)

sensory integration

Hi Ginger,
I'll have to check that out.I'd like to hear more about the therapy your son receives. Our school runs an innovative sensory integration program.Its the only one like it in our state.Its used with computers.
I'll have to check out that site you told me about. Thanks fairymist

He was put in therapy at the age of 1 1/2 yrs old at Kids First. He had Occupational therapy, Physical therapy and as well speech therapy, too.

At first my dr thought he could be austitic. That why he was put in therapy. He have improved and can talk etc But he kept repeating things over and over and talking to himself writing.. They think he have one of the PDD. so he was finally evaluated at big center in Little Rock ..Thats when we learned that he have SID.

He remained there at kids first till he started Kindergarten and receives Occupational Therapy and Speech Therapy. Before the school year ends. they told me that think he doesn't need Occupational therapy anymore but that he prolly need to get Physical therapy as his muscle tones in his legs are not toned right and he need to work with handwriting and colorings. The way he colored his papers and writings are messy! He still have to work on that. Otherwise He is doing great!

Right now he is in 1st grade and is doing well on most of the subjects except reading. He still have trouble writing some letters backward and the teacher said think it is just a phase. I told her no its due to SID. She doesn't understand. I brought her a book for her to read so hopefully it will help her understand.

I realized he will have long ways to overcame that but with patience and love and understanding he will do well .. :)

Luckysmile23 said:
Welcome to AD, Fairymist! I hope you will enjoy the site as well as I did and still do. :)

I am Hoh and am a mother to 6 yrs old son. My son was diagnosed with Sensory Integration disorder 2 yrs ago and have therapy for that. he have improved so much since then. I am real proud of him. :)

Have you heard of the group in Yahoo called Sid_forum? I am member of that group. Maybe you can join and interact with other members? Just a thought! :)

Enjoy AD and happy posting.... :)

Hi,
Can u tell me what is "Sensory Integration disorder" ? I never heard that word before...

Thanks ! !

M- :fly3:

fairymist said:
]Hi I'm fairymist. I'm OHOH and have been losing my hearing in both ears over the last 13 years.I'm also ' not out" about my hearing loss due to be scrwed over y too many people when they learned I have a hearing loss.recently I have lost even more hearing severe/moderate bilateral hearing loss. I don't have a lot of community support for OHOH . I do work and the services that are in our community are only available during the hours I work. I work part-time as a teacher .I work with people who have sensory integration processing difficulties and I love it. I also teach a small group of high school and junior high school students. I fgured since I can't find support and friends in my community maybe I can ONline. Fairymist[/COLOR]

Welcome here ! enjoy ! :grouphug:

Here is no one perfect...

Im deaf.... Oh well.. thats life... unless we have a breath on earth right ? :dance2:

Fairymist,

you're the most welcome here on AD and let's breath away..

As same other members who simlair alike you..
I think I believe....

ScubaladyTx said:
Hi,
Can u tell me what is "Sensory Integration disorder" ? I never heard that word before...

Thanks ! !

M- :fly3:

Sensory Integration Dysfunction is the inability of the brain to correctly process information brought in by the senses. Sensory Integration Dysfunction (SID/DSI) or sensory processing deficits can come in many different forms. No two children will be affected in the same ways. SID/DSI was first noticed in children with autism or who had autistic traits but is also seen in children with other disabilities such as cerebral palsy or ADD/ADHD or can be present by itself. Children can have mild, moderate or severe SI deficits. SID/DSI is treatable with therapy and a sensory diet set up by an occupational therapist who is trained in SI. You should look for a therapist who is certified in praxis testing (SIPT certified) and Wilbarger trained. If you go to Sensory Integration International you can request a listing of trained therapists in your area.
Children with SID/DSI can be either hyposensitive or hypersensitive to outside stimuli. For example a child who is hyposensitive to touch will constantly be crashing into things seeking extra stimulation while the hypersensitive child will avoid being touched or touching things when at all possible. SID/DSI can also include children who have processing deficits in one or more areas. Visual and auditory processing deficits are noticed in children with cerebral palsy quite often. When a child has a visual processing deficit, it does not mean that they cannot see. It means that they have a hard time finding the words for objects they are viewing or, if asked to go get an object, they might look right at it and then say they can't find it. This is because they are seeing it but their brains are not processing that they are seeing it. Auditory processing deficits are the same, the child hears what you say but the brain does not process it so the child understands or it takes several minutes for what you have said to "click" with the child. One way to help with auditory processing deficits is to break down instructions, giving them one thing at a time to do. Let them finish the first task before you give them another instruction. Listening or music therapy can also help with auditory processing deficits.

Below is a list of other behaviors exibited by children with SID/DSI:

-- Loves to spin, swing and jump--this will seem to calm them down after several minutes.
-- Complains of how clothing feels, does not like tags left in their clothing and have to have their socks on just so, or a certain kind of sock.
-- Picky eaters--get stuck on one certain food and is basically impossible to get them to eat anything else.
-- Oversensitivity to smells. Or undersensitivity--may sniff people, objects, food.
-- Oversensitivity to sounds--will frequently cover ears. Or undersensivity.
-- May have an exceptionally high pain tolerance
-- May tire easily
-- Unusually high or low activity level
-- Resists new situations
-- Problems with muscle tone, coordination, motor planning
-- Can be very impulsive or distractible.
-- Persistently walks on toes to avoid sensory input from the bottom of the feet. This can also be a sign of cerebral palsy if the child is unable to bring their feet down flat when asked or trying.

These are just a few of the symptoms that children with SID/DSI can exibit.

Hope this helps u undy what SID is ? :)

Luckysmile23 said:
Sensory Integration Dysfunction is the inability of the brain to correctly process information brought in by the senses. Sensory Integration Dysfunction (SID/DSI) or sensory processing deficits can come in many different forms. No two children will be affected in the same ways. SID/DSI was first noticed in children with autism or who had autistic traits but is also seen in children with other disabilities such as cerebral palsy or ADD/ADHD or can be present by itself. Children can have mild, moderate or severe SI deficits. SID/DSI is treatable with therapy and a sensory diet set up by an occupational therapist who is trained in SI. You should look for a therapist who is certified in praxis testing (SIPT certified) and Wilbarger trained. If you go to Sensory Integration International you can request a listing of trained therapists in your area.
Children with SID/DSI can be either hyposensitive or hypersensitive to outside stimuli. For example a child who is hyposensitive to touch will constantly be crashing into things seeking extra stimulation while the hypersensitive child will avoid being touched or touching things when at all possible. SID/DSI can also include children who have processing deficits in one or more areas. Visual and auditory processing deficits are noticed in children with cerebral palsy quite often. When a child has a visual processing deficit, it does not mean that they cannot see. It means that they have a hard time finding the words for objects they are viewing or, if asked to go get an object, they might look right at it and then say they can't find it. This is because they are seeing it but their brains are not processing that they are seeing it. Auditory processing deficits are the same, the child hears what you say but the brain does not process it so the child understands or it takes several minutes for what you have said to "click" with the child. One way to help with auditory processing deficits is to break down instructions, giving them one thing at a time to do. Let them finish the first task before you give them another instruction. Listening or music therapy can also help with auditory processing deficits.

Below is a list of other behaviors exibited by children with SID/DSI:

-- Loves to spin, swing and jump--this will seem to calm them down after several minutes.
-- Complains of how clothing feels, does not like tags left in their clothing and have to have their socks on just so, or a certain kind of sock.
-- Picky eaters--get stuck on one certain food and is basically impossible to get them to eat anything else.
-- Oversensitivity to smells. Or undersensitivity--may sniff people, objects, food.
-- Oversensitivity to sounds--will frequently cover ears. Or undersensivity.
-- May have an exceptionally high pain tolerance
-- May tire easily
-- Unusually high or low activity level
-- Resists new situations
-- Problems with muscle tone, coordination, motor planning
-- Can be very impulsive or distractible.
-- Persistently walks on toes to avoid sensory input from the bottom of the feet. This can also be a sign of cerebral palsy if the child is unable to bring their feet down flat when asked or trying.

These are just a few of the symptoms that children with SID/DSI can exibit.

Hope this helps u undy what SID is ? :)

Yes ! Many many Thanks !! Wow, Im learning.. very interesting! !

:ty: :ty:

YW, Scuba.. :)

yes it is very interesting but yet complicated disease.. my sons teacher still dont undy why he is distractible.. he was ordered to read 3 books to the teacher and class today.. he only got to read two books and didnt want to read the third book? his teacher wrote a letter to his father and told him that you need to sit down and read with TJ every night. they did, alrighty.. grandma, shell and daddy read iwth him every nite? still he is distractible for some reason? some days he can be out of sync.. some day he can be in good spirit... when hes out of sync- he will not wnat to do anything but play with trains or spinning in circle like he always does as it seems to calm him down .. i guess his teacher doesnt truly undy what tj is going thru. jeez. im kinda upset about it. when i get back home im gonna talk to her about this and get her books so she can undy.. and i found out from my sons father that my son is not in therapy? i asked him why not? he said dunno.. i tol dhim u r suppose to take him to dr and have him evaluated every 6 months to see if he still need services or not. he said oh.. he know NOTHING! i guess i will have to do this myself.. my son is impt and i want the best for him! :(

sensory int

Luckysmile is right on target. there's a book out there called The Out Of Sync Child.Its an excellent book that explains sensory integration very well. The therapy program my school uses has a lot of connections with academics. It is not occupational therapy or physical therapy.It is a tangent and program that teaches children the sensory skills they need to integrate to be successful in school. It moves the child toward the integration of the senses where it usually breaks down. there is a computer CD home version from Essential Learning Systems for Sensory Integration training. You can find the site on the internet.It gives a good explanation of the program and how it can help your child. I have seen my students grow so much that I'm thinking about doing my master's degree research on it.Check it out. Once you see it, it looks so simple,but it really works Fairy mist

I do have the book- Out of Sync Child. It is very informative and understanding of the disease.

I havent heard of the CD? I would like to check that out and see if we can do something for TJ.. Many thanks for that.. :)

Ginger :)

Back