Hello, I would truly appreciate any thoughts on this.

MsSaraB

Reaction score
Hello, everyone!

You may call me Sara, it's less to type. : ) I am here for a few reasons, I have been lurking for some time because I have been trying to learn ASL and have recently become more serious in my desire to REALLY learn it. (I am hearing.. just in case you're wondering) I have recently acquired a job at a theme park in Florida. I will be teaching children directly, working with them on projects, demonstrating these and such. I was thinking about all the children that would be coming through and it hit me that not all children would be able to hear me (like my adorable and super sweet cousin). It would also be difficult to lip read (if the child could lip read to begin with) because I would be everywhere demonstrating and helping other children. I thought it also might make a child's day if they didn't have to go through a third party to communicate.
Anyway, to get to the point.. I am seriously considering a proposition to the company. I thought it may be helpful if they would bring someone in to teach anyone interested how to sign. Like one meeting a week or something and also to maybe have an employee meeting where the employees of the park could be briefed on how to interact with a variety of people that are different from the "norm" (foreigners and others). In other words, don't be an idiot, look at the person who is trying to communicate to you and not the other guy. Common sense things like that.
I don't want to go in and blow it, because I really think this could start something great. If anyone would care to leave some tips or help me gather some perspective... even any quotes from parents of deaf children on how it would affect the kids. Thoughts, please!!!

Thank you so much for reading this long post and thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Welcome Sara!!! Great idea!!!! I go to Disneyland when I am 4, and I think SO MAGICAL when Cinderella sign to me...4 year old me in heaven!!

Thanks for your response. Sorry it took me so long, I've been extremely busy the past couple of days. I am testing the waters to see who the best person to propose the idea to would be because I don't want it shot down.

HI sara! I am Deaf and live in Florida--I know there are some Disney staff that can sign--If you look at their name tag it will tell you if they know any other launguages. Is it a Disney park you are talking about?

no it's not Disney. I'm not allowed to post the name or anything online. Anything online is flagged and I don't want my name associated with any online content. I can tell you that the park is part of a larger company and it could potentially start a chain throughout the company if I am careful how I go about it. I know that they do have interpreters available, but I hope that they will help others learn if they want to so that other employees have the option. Or at the very least, educate all the employees on etiquette.

Your dog is adorable. : )

um ok. It seems like a good idea but I cant say since I dont know what park--Disney, Yes it would be great because it means a lot to the kids to have characters or the person sign to them. But a park like busch gardens or seaworld, you do not really associate with anyone, you just go on rides, and see the animals.

Back