Hello, I came to ask a question...

Benji

Reaction score
Hello,

My name is Benji. I am 'hearing' (I do have some 'ear issues' and tinnitus but I think that my ear issues are possibly closer to CAPD/APD or something) but I would like to find out something and I felt that this would be the best place to ask (although I am possibly in the wrong section for asking questions).

I work in a shop and I have a few deaf customers. In secondary school I spent two weeks learning some basic sign language (most of which I've forgotten, admittedly). I really enjoyed learning it. My voice doesn't always cooperate so using my hands was quite refreshing.

Basically, one of my deaf customers made an effort to have a conversation with me today. I really appreciated it, because I am autistic and the first few times he came in after I'd started working there I didn't even look him in the face or realise he was deaf until he signed 'thank you' and left. I wouldn't have thought I'm the easiest person to lip read from, so I thought that maybe it might be more helpful if I knew a few signs to simplify the transaction.

I basically wanted to know whether a deaf person would actually find this helpful, or whether it's not worth trying for the sake of offering someone a bag and telling them the price of their purchase?

Regardless of whether you think it would be worth me trying to learn some sign language or not, I would like some advice as to how to make myself more easily understood. I often have customers come in who I can't hear/understand, and this guy, although he did all the talking, was the best conversation I had all day.

Obviously there is the double barrier there, because he is deaf and I'm autistic and so the things that would ordinarily help (lip reading, expression) aren't there... Although if I do notice it's him then I try harder to at least keep my face in a position that makes it easier for him to read my lips. I think he's given up on that, though (same with the other deaf customers).

I hope you don't mind me infiltrating your forum, by the way.

Hello,

My name is Benji. I am 'hearing' (I do have some 'ear issues' and tinnitus but I think that my ear issues are possibly closer to CAPD/APD or something) but I would like to find out something and I felt that this would be the best place to ask (although I am possibly in the wrong section for asking questions).

I work in a shop and I have a few deaf customers. In secondary school I spent two weeks learning some basic sign language (most of which I've forgotten, admittedly). I really enjoyed learning it. My voice doesn't always cooperate so using my hands was quite refreshing.

Basically, one of my deaf customers made an effort to have a conversation with me today. I really appreciated it, because I am autistic and the first few times he came in after I'd started working there I didn't even look him in the face or realise he was deaf until he signed 'thank you' and left. I wouldn't have thought I'm the easiest person to lip read from, so I thought that maybe it might be more helpful if I knew a few signs to simplify the transaction.

I basically wanted to know whether a deaf person would actually find this helpful, or whether it's not worth trying for the sake of offering someone a bag and telling them the price of their purchase?

Regardless of whether you think it would be worth me trying to learn some sign language or not, I would like some advice as to how to make myself more easily understood. I often have customers come in who I can't hear/understand, and this guy, although he did all the talking, was the best conversation I had all day.

Obviously there is the double barrier there, because he is deaf and I'm autistic and so the things that would ordinarily help (lip reading, expression) aren't there... Although if I do notice it's him then I try harder to at least keep my face in a position that makes it easier for him to read my lips. I think he's given up on that, though (same with the other deaf customers).

Welcome, beji. I'll leave it to the deaf members to answer your question.

Ha ha, as a fellow hearing autistic, with a post count above 1000, I hardly think you're "infiltrating"--hearing people can join and participate too! (jillio for example is also hearing)

Yes, I totally agree with you about signing. It's a lot of fun to learn because of its visual/kinesthetic nature. And I have a mild auditory processing disorder with my autism as well... XD

I guess maybe you didn't expect to find another one of us here? :P

Now, I can sort of answer your question, since I've had experience (and did become fluent in ASL)... Write it down! Many deaf people seem to appreciate it when you're not afraid to write it down, since deaf people tend to also be literate. Even if you can't sign, carrying out the conversation in a written or typed form can do wonders for mutual understanding.

Hope this helps, and if you need someone to talk to who's been there, feel free to send me a message! I can try to help you with signing questions as well. :)

showing your face

Hello,

I would encourage you, to pick up a ASL or look in your area schools, libraries, find out what your city offers for maybe a class in sign language, You would feel very enligntened and much more confident once you were abe to be able to communicate a little bit more. Just like when you started your job there, do you remember when you first started, you were probably anxious to learn and maybe a little shy because you did not know your job title or how to perform it, but once you spent time with it, and became a little bit more confident in your work now here it is a time later and you are more proficient, alot more confident and could probably show other people how to do some of the work, it's only an example but if you gave yourself the opportunity to learn even some of the language of sign, you would feel alot more comfortable and confident to communicate with those that are deaf in your job, and you would gain some new friends, and family, it would challenge you to come out of your shell. So be encouraged, but find an area in your city that would either possibly offer a course, or the library, or google a Sign language bookstore where you could purchase an american Sign Language book to at least learn some basic words to help you out.
Be Blessed, and encouraged, it's there for you and at your reach just put your foot forward to do it,and don't allow your autism to stand in your way.
EstersCrown

Back