Hello I am New!

CAPDWA1968

Reaction score
Hello:wave:,
I was diagnosed with CAPD in 2002. I was :mad:: I hate labels! So I walked away! Now I wish I hadn't! I didn't get any of the help they offered at the time. So 11 years later, and after much sturggling to appear normal and do this all on my own... I have finally come to accept that maybe; This time ;the label fits... much as I hate admitting this. So here I am trying to connect with other people who find living in this confusing world, and trying to communicate with others just as difficult. To perhaps get some support and some sense that I am not some weird odd ball who doesn't quite fit in, just because the things people say make little sense to me at times!

Interesting... I just googled up CAPD myself and I have never heard of such condition. It sounds like ADHD to me in a way.

So that mean you're not deaf, right? Just an individual with unusual learning process disability?

Response

Interesting... I just googled up CAPD myself and I have never heard of such condition. It sounds like ADHD to me in a way.

So that mean you're not deaf, right? Just an individual with unusual learning process disability?
Ok first let me explain... I have the temporal variety of this malady. So what does this mean?... you may ask...

the best way to explain is to write a sentence the way my brain tells me to hear it....

"Muoi, Youmauch corpal asum melwoonom veirw? Taommula itim morko tuuume."

About as much as you understood that sentence is how much I understand what people say to me. This is because my auditory parts of my brain process sound at a very slow rate of speed. So I struggle to decode what people say. I see them and even hear sounds in my ear... but generaly do not understand that they say. It is not just speech either. Someone coming up behind me can touch me and scare me to death before my brain registers that i heard them walking up(a little to late)
Hope this helped!

response to Safarigirl2011

welcome to alldeaf, we have one user with a similar type (she has APD too)
Thank You for your welcome. I has been hard to come here sacred folks would say i do not belong! With the level of my hearing issues I struggle with many of the same issues though.
1. I read lips ... it's the only way to survive because I use lip reading as cues to what they are saying while i try to decode. (a mixed bag that one though because i can also see when people are talking about me even when they are whispering about me)
2. I can be snuck up on because i will understand what I am hearing (usually after they have touched me) so i startle easy.
3. I hate it when people move to much when they talk out of my feild of vision because when they do that i loose a vital decoding device(lip reading) and what they say stops making sense.

course there are ways where I am very different Like how i hate loud echoy places or trying to understand people with really thick accents because it makes decoding what has been said that much harder!

Anyway thanks!

HEY! That sounds like me except I am "some weird odd ball" =) I'm still in the process of trying to find an audiologist that specializes in APD to see if they are any help. I look forward to seeing you here.

Ok trying this one again!

My CAPD is the temporal(timimg) variety. Essentially, My brain which processes the sound I hear processes the sounds at the wrong speed (very slowly). the result is that when most people talk to me it sounds like garbbly Goop! An example of what it's like is if I wrote you the following sentence...
"yemeechum porcalatoem soodum viem?" I make about as much sense of the speech as you made of that sentance. So I spend a great deal of time trying to decode what people are saying and by the time I figure it out... It's to late they are irritated with me.

Hope this helps you understand

Back