hello!! i am new here and can't wait to learn LOTS of things!!

smileyangel20

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Up front I am begging for forgiveness as I am extremely ignorant in deaf culture...I took ASL 1 in college and absolutely fell in love with sign!!! I think I scared my instructor however (who was deaf), because I had so many questions I wanted to ask him and finally he just started avoiding me in class...how sad is that??? I'm not pushy and I didn't think I was being "stalker-ish", especially since all my questions were in/after class or through email, but he still cut me off after awhile...I can't tell you enough how excited and thrilled I am to be a member here...I pray I can learn from everyone!! Here's just one of my questions...when deafies dream, do you sign in your dreams or do you talk?? the reason i ask such a "stupid" question, is I've asked my spanish teacher this question, "which language do you dream in??" and she told me usually in her dreams, she would be speaking in english and the whole rest of the class would be talking in spanish...also, when you are communicating with someone, do you have a voice for them in your head, that you think they might sound like?? once again, please forgive my ignorance and i am in no way trying to be rude...i look forward to any and all responses!!! :ty:

Welcome, Sarah!

Let me ask you this: When you dream, do you speak?

Hello everyone! Up front I am begging for forgiveness as I am extremely ignorant in deaf culture...I took ASL 1 in college and absolutely fell in love with sign!!!

Hi, Sarah: No need to forgiveness. :)

I think I scared my instructor however (who was deaf), because I had so many questions I wanted to ask him and finally he just started avoiding me in class...how sad is that??? I'm not pushy and I didn't think I was being "stalker-ish", especially since all my questions were in/after class or through email, but he still cut me off after awhile...I can't tell you enough how excited and thrilled I am to be a member here...I pray I can learn from everyone!!

I'm sorry about your instructor. I hope your questions are answered here.

Here's just one of my questions...when deafies dream, do you sign in your dreams or do you talk?? the reason i ask such a "stupid" question, is I've asked my spanish teacher this question, "which language do you dream in??" and she told me usually in her dreams, she would be speaking in english and the whole rest of the class would be talking in spanish...

When I dream I use ASL and voice, mostly ASL. In my dreams with ASL the people I am talking to also use ASL, even if they don't know ASL in real life. Really a dream, I guess. :P My female roommate says she sees my move my hands when I am asleep sometimes. My sister said the same when we were at home. I don't know if the movement is sign or just hand movement. :roll: When I use voice in dream it is more similar to ASL than "proper" English. Or it is awful - I try to say one word to someone again and again but they can't understand. Nothing more, just trying the word. Probably too much ST.

But often it's more like ESP or something - I communicate with someone but no voice or sign. My hearing roommates say the same - they don't speak every word with dreaming. Maybe I don't explain clearly, but possibly you understand with yourself.

Maybe you are interested in the article: Auditory Hallucinations

According to Barbara Haskins, M.D.--an expert in the field of deafness and psychiatric disorders--"Deaf patients can hear voices, even if they have been deaf from birth and have never heard sound...there is ongoing debate about the neural mechanisms for this." (See Psychiatric Times, December 2000; and Altshuler KZ, Am J Psychiatry 127:1521-26).

Dr. Haskins also reports the occurrence of auditory, visual, tactile, and olfactory hallucinations in deaf individuals with co-morbid schizophrenia. Interestingly, according to Haskins, some deaf people with schizophrenia will report seeing "Jesus signing to them", which Dr. Haskins describes as "...a unique...psychotic feature that seems to fall between a typical auditory hallucination of communicative input and a typical visual hallucination."

Use Google, GoogleScholar, or PubMed with a search like "auditory hallucination deaf" - intersting articles.

also, when you are communicating with someone, do you have a voice for them in your head, that you think they might sound like?? once again, please forgive my ignorance and i am in no way trying to be rude...i look forward to any and all responses!!! :ty:

No voice. When my hearing was better and I wore HAs most voices sounded similar to me. I couldn't understand all conversation so maybe I missed differences in voices - higher voices, inflection etc. Or maybe I don't have a good memory for voices - I don't know.

I don't think you are rude. I always ask too many questions of people because I am curious. Please ask if you want. :)

THANK YOU SO MUCH for your replies...

First off, let me say a sincere "thank you" for answering some of my questions... Pek1, it is a combination in my dreams...i both speak and have signed also...which is odd, because i don't know that many signs, but in my dreams i know what people are signing to me and i know what i'm signing to them...kaitlin...thank you, thank you for your reply, I sincerely think sign language is the most beautiful language in the world...it's not just a language, it's a kind of poetry as well...a sort of "interpretive dance" if you will...could you imagine if ASL (forget the "American" part for a moment) were universal, if every single country used the same signs for the same words/phrases...i understand that other countries have words that mean nothing to us, but *sigh* what if it were possible!! I am so excited to be on here, and thank you for not thinking me rude...there have been times when i'm out and about or at the mall and there have been people signing to one another and I catch myself stopping and being completely mesmerized at how beautiful it is! I know to you and other deafies, it's just a form of communication, but for me it's an art form and doesn't get the appreciation it deserves!! Okay, let me get out of my state of zen here...thank you again, and for ms. sunshinelady I'm so sorry, I have NO IDEA what you said to me, but it seems friendly...so hello!!:D

smileyangel20, I had to smile and laugh when reading your questions. First I think it's really too bad that with someone with your enthusiasm was left with too many unanswered questions because the instructor ignored you or didn't fully answer your questions. I speak English but when taking Spanish I noticed I began dreaming in Spanish (or at least using a few Spanish words) and when expopsed to more and more ASL I will sign in my dreams, while dreaming, and people in my dreams may sign too, and ASL isn't my first language. I hope this and other's responses have opened your eyes a little and you have a better understanding. Never feel ashamed or afraid to ask a question, it's better to learn and understand the Deaf community than have a limited knowledge. Best of luck!!!

Back