Hello from Winter Park Florida

Poison_Quills

Reaction score
My name is Lynn and I recently moved from Minnesota to Florida. Looking to connect with the Deaf community in this area. I'm a college student looking to become an English teacher as well as becoming an interpreter.

:wave:

Welcome to the AllDeaf forum, Lynn! :wave::welcome:

Why do you aspire to be an interpreter?

Welcome to the AllDeaf forum, Lynn! :wave::welcome:

Why do you aspire to be an interpreter?

Well, the actual end goal is to teach English to deaf and hearing impaired kids. because I find the educational system to be woefully lacking and doing a disservice to the people it's suppose to be benefiting.

I would like to become an interpreter because I go to sci-fi and fantasy conventions (among many others) they are always lacking enough interpreters for the panels. I don't think the world is inclusive enough and I would like to change that.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Just so you know - many of us find the term "hearing impaired" offensive. We're either Hard of hearing (Hoh) or D/deaf.

Also - if you intend to teach Deaf children using ASL that's a very different path (education, certification & career wise) than ASL/English interpreting so you'll want to decide what your end goals are a bit more.

I'd suggesting you talk to people who are currently doing each job, visit Bi-Bi schools, etc to see what is a better fit for you.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Just so you know - many of us find the term "hearing impaired" offensive. We're either Hard of hearing (Hoh) or D/deaf.

Also - if you intend to teach Deaf children using ASL that's a very different path (education, certification & career wise) than ASL/English interpreting so you'll want to decide what your end goals are a bit more.

I'd suggesting you talk to people who are currently doing each job, visit Bi-Bi schools, etc to see what is a better fit for you.

Yeah, my "looking into it" is coming up with two vastly different paths. Thank you for the advice. I think it will be a great idea.

Well, the actual end goal is to teach English to deaf and hearing impaired kids. because I find the educational system to be woefully lacking and doing a disservice to the people it's suppose to be benefiting.

I would like to become an interpreter because I go to sci-fi and fantasy conventions (among many others) they are always lacking enough interpreters for the panels. I don't think the world is inclusive enough and I would like to change that.

Yes, the methods of Deaf education in many schools are doing a great disservice to d/Deaf children. This is mainly because many Deaf Education teachers have not received the right training in order to educate d/Deaf children to function on the same level as their hearing counterparts.

As for events such as sci-fi and fantasy conventions, it is the responsibility of any d/Deaf individuals who want to attend those conventions to let the event planners know they need to request interpreters to be present at the convention. Many d/Deaf individuals have the belief that whatever major event that they attend, there should be interpreters already provided. They have to understand this is not always the case as they must be asked for by the d/Deaf individuals in advance.

Back