hello from Washington DC

MichaelS

Reaction score
hi! I've worn two hearing aids most of my life, not sure exactly how my hearing would be classified. Just started learning ASL and enjoying it so far.

welcome 2 Alldeaf!
maybe you might be the same as me LOL but same thing, worn 2 hearing aids my whole life :)

Hello and welcome. Have fun reading through the threads and getting to know everyone.

thank you all. I've been checking out the site for about a week now and it's nice to read about others with experiences like mine. One of my big pet peeves is with people who say "nevermind" when I don't hear/understand exactly what they attempted to communicate! That seems like a huge pet peeve of a lot of other folks here.

ah, somebody who's from DC :) strictly speaking I'm from Fairfax County but not many from outside the area know the suburbs. I am a Nats fan though, my county doesn't have its own team yet!

welcome! There are a ton of mainstreamed hoh kids here!!!! Are you taking ASL classes at Gally? Boy, it STILL amazes me that there are so many hoh and mainstreamed folks who say they wish they'd been exposed to ASL and gone to Deaf School or Deaf Program.

I got sent to speech therapy as a child but that was more b/c the Virginians didn't like my New England accent :) I'm taking the classes through the Graduate School for now, was about half the cost but they only have ASL 1 and ASL 2 (if enough sign up for it, plus going in to Gally at 9am on Saturday for a few months is asking a lot ;) but I'll do it when it becomes necessary).

Beach girl, we are practically neighbors!

Last edited:
Well, howdy, neighbor!!

Will you still be around in the fall? I'm in NC right now, will be back in VA in the fall. I'm thinking we've got enough D.C. /NoVA people to have a mini-get-together at some point.

I'm here in the area for the foreseeable future. You would probably have to accommodate what will be my poor signing ability though :) In class we haven't even gotten to grammar yet, just signs.

I don't sign at all. I'm a late-deafened, HoH person using HAs. Voice most definitely ON. :lol:

If you ever want to Sykpe, I need someone to practice ASL with. I am hearing but have deaf family members and am ashamed that I am not a better signer. I definitely need to improve my skills! My skype name is monkeejunkee.

ah, so my not knowing ASL won't present a communication issue w/ you then :)

Nope, not at all.

I'm thinking mid-to-late October-ish would be a good time to have a little party. You, TheWriteAlex, Shel, maybe DeafSkeptic if she's in Richmond by then. If memory serves there are maybe a few more around the greater D.C. area - especially if we are very flexible on that "greater" part.

Hey! I live in Norfolk, but am originally from Woodbridge. There is a great ASL community in NOVA.... check out asl.meetup.com

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum, MichaelS. Just relax and enjoy reading plus posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Back