Hello from Utah

KayKay1290

Reaction score
Hey, my name is Kaylee, I was born deaf and I live in a small town from Utah. Just looking to make some new friends. I seem to be the only deaf person in my town and have a hard time socializing and finding good friends.

Yah, small towns can stink for that reason. Although I don't know if I would choose a big city.

Welcome :wave:

Thanks! Yeah it does suck living in a small town, though personally I'm not fond of the big city. :aw:

Thanks! Yeah it does suck living in a small town, though personally I'm not fond of the big city. :aw:
Aside from not having the ability to make like-friends, there are cities that aren't big if you're game enough to risk and move. But honestly, if you even think about doing this, I'd let the current Congress settle in, threaten the heck out of people and when and if that subsides, find a city :) .

Welcome to the forum KayKay.:wave:

I feel for ya...... Utah can be kinda not exactly welcoming of differences, and of course since USDB has been more like a bunch of classrooms, rather then a traditional res school and heavy with inclusion for many years, I can totally see why you'd have issues socially.......Welcome.... You are among friends/family....I wish it was easier for us to get together physically....

Thanks all for the welcome :) I tend to lurk but I'll try not to. Just unsure where else to begin posting. It may take me a bit to come out of my shell.

I feel for ya...... Utah can be kinda not exactly welcoming of differences, and of course since USDB has been more like a bunch of classrooms, rather then a traditional res school and heavy with inclusion for many years, I can totally see why you'd have issues socially.......Welcome.... You are among friends/family....I wish it was easier for us to get together physically....

I've never gone to USDB, public school growing up but I did move with my dad to finish up my senior year in Indiana and went to the deaf school there. Though I moved back to Utah for personal reasons.

I grew up in a small town and I only knew one other person HOH , a girl I went to school with. We did not like one another , so I know what men about not knowing meeting other deaf or hoh people.

:wave: Hi!

I've never gone to USDB, public school growing up but I did move with my dad to finish up my senior year in Indiana and went to the deaf school there. Though I moved back to Utah for personal reasons.

Well that's b/c as I said, USDB isn't really that much of a Deaf School. It's a bunch of Early Childhood programs with an oral focus and some TC classrooms and a bi-bi program... I think it's residential aspect is hanging on by a tiny thread. That's awesome that you go to go to ISD! That's one of the good deaf schools.......so much easier there socially right?

Well that's b/c as I said, USDB isn't really that much of a Deaf School. It's a bunch of Early Childhood programs with an oral focus and some TC classrooms and a bi-bi program... I think it's residential aspect is hanging on by a tiny thread. That's awesome that you go to go to ISD! That's one of the good deaf schools.......so much easier there socially right?

I actually went to USDB once, though I can't remember what for. But it didn't even feel like a deaf school to me. I really liked ISD, much easier for me. Though I wish I could've gone there much earlier in my life. I've only kept in touch with a few friends from there after I graduated.

Back