Hello from the Tropic!!!

iSign

Reaction score
Hi hi :) My name is Kiara and for some reason since I can remember I've always been interested in Sign Language. I've learned on my own but now found the opportunity to expand with higher education. I found this site and think it's a great idea to start learning and integrating myself in the Deaf/mute & hoh community. I hope for the best! <3 :)

welcome

Welcome to the wild and crazy AD. Glad the deaf has attracted another attractive woman to our site. Everyone here has an opinion, but remember that is an opinion only!
One thing I would comment on is your use of the term MUTE. Some deaf can find that offensive. But for myself I would just say you are here to learn. Mute is an old old old term, somewhat like deaf and dumb.
Anyways jump right in and give your opinion.

Hi hi :) My name is Kiara and for some reason since I can remember I've always been interested in Sign Language. I've learned on my own but now found the opportunity to expand with higher education. I found this site and think it's a great idea to start learning and integrating myself in the Deaf/mute & hoh community. I hope for the best! <3 :)

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. The reason why you thought that we are mute is because our voices are funny and loud, but actually we would rather sign in silence as it is not distracting other deaf people (deaf or hard of hearing people who wear hearing aids or CIs) and hearing people who sign with us. Of course, we make noises when we bang on tables or shuffle around as we could not hear them but using our voices is a no-no when going into the Deaf social events. That is the way Deaf Culture is.

Have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Welcome to the wild and crazy AD. Glad the deaf has attracted another attractive woman to our site. Everyone here has an opinion, but remember that is an opinion only!
One thing I would comment on is your use of the term MUTE. Some deaf can find that offensive. But for myself I would just say you are here to learn. Mute is an old old old term, somewhat like deaf and dumb.
Anyways jump right in and give your opinion.

Thank you!!! both for the compliment and the correction :) I already made a mental note on it, haha. Sorry it took long to reply, I couldn't find my own thread!!!

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. The reason why you thought that we are mute is because our voices are funny and loud, but actually we would rather sign in silence as it is not distracting other deaf people (deaf or hard of hearing people who wear hearing aids or CIs) and hearing people who sign with us. Of course, we make noises when we bang on tables or shuffle around as we could not hear them but using our voices is a no-no when going into the Deaf social events. That is the way Deaf Culture is.

Have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Oh, no no, don't get me wrong. I don't think that all deaf people are mute, I just thought that some people are born without the ability to speak, unless I'm wrong. I apologize. That's why I came here ^.^ to leaaarn!

A question about the " no-no " of using the voice in a social event. If the person in question has the ability to talk even though the person is HoH and the receiver is HoH as well but still can understand ( like I've read about some ADers browsing around the forums ) why exactly is socially unacceptable to use ones voice to communicate with said receiver?

I hope my question makes sense :)

Hear me roar! So much for being mute. lmao

Oh, no no, don't get me wrong. I don't think that all deaf people are mute, I just thought that some people are born without the ability to speak, unless I'm wrong. I apologize. That's why I came here ^.^ to leaaarn!

A question about the " no-no " of using the voice in a social event. If the person in question has the ability to talk even though the person is HoH and the receiver is HoH as well but still can understand ( like I've read about some ADers browsing around the forums ) why exactly is socially unacceptable to use ones voice to communicate with said receiver?

I hope my question makes sense :)

A lot of deaf socials have the "silent, no voices" rule since not all of the people in the group can hear of lipread. My deaf club was that way, but since we are getting more and more late-deafened people, they have relaxed the rules to allow voices as long as you are also signing. They do not want to turn it into voices only. They don't mind both. Also, since most of our schools have cancelled all ASL classes in adult education, the deaf club is willing to help a person as much as they can. They were asked my the Deaf Service Center.

Back