Hello from NE Texas

danimart1105

Reaction score
Hello!

I just found this site. I was diagnosed with "profound hearing loss" about 7 months ago.

I started noticing that I had problems hearing starting about 5 or so years ago. I went through the normal people yelling at me; telling me I'm "not paying attention"; accused of being "slow"...you get the picture. Finally my Boss insisted I "take care of it". (At the time I worked in a prison - literally)

I went to an Audiologist fulling expecting - convinced even - that I just needed tubes in my ears. He proceeded to tell me that I had no fluid on my ears and that the bones in my ears "did not look right". Needless to say -- I was upset. He told me to get a second opinion. I did. The test was identical and so was the diagnosis. Both have told me that my hearing may get worse and should consider learning sign language.

I wear hearing aids but I'm having problems wearing them at home due to two evil pugs who like to go after my ears. Also I cannot watch anything on TV without CC. I went to my first theater movie since my diagnosis and could not understand ANYTHING. If someone is not looking at me I cannot understand them. The audiologist tells me I read lips but that was news to me. Anyhoo - I found this website by looking for movies or theaters with CC.

I'm glad to be here and know that I'll learn a lot. So, hello everyone!!! :wave:

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Most T.V. devices are already put into all televisions so that both hearing (learning how to read words) and deaf people can understand what the people are saying on televsion. You should be able to have CC on your television unless you did not know how to operate the CC mode. There is always the CC1 where there are other like CC2, CC3, and CC4. Those three last mode of CC, we don't have like that, but in some other areas they might have CC2 instead of CC1, etc. Your T.V. should not be without CC.

Sign language is good and you can learn how to understand Deaf people and Interpreters that way.

Just have fun reading and posting all the threads here. Enjoy! See you around here. :wave:

By the way, where do you live if you are not in United States or Canada? I am just curious. Sorry for being blunt. :)

Hi and welcome to AD. I am also late deaf. You may want to check out the late deaf threads. There are a few of us late deaf Texans here.

Sign language is a great idea, especially if you have a deaf community near. You might also check the net for local deaf clubs, groups and meetings. Deaf Coffee is a great start.

Good luck and hope you enjoy your time.

Back