Hello from N.C.

etalton

Reaction score
Hi,
I guess the reason I joined is to find people that understand where I am coming from. Up until I turned 50 I had "normal" hearing. Then I was diagnosed with Meniere's Disease. Luckily, I have not been hit too hard with Vertigo and balance issues, but I have lost most of my hearing in both ears. I don't wear a HA in the left ear due to nerve damage. I do hear sounds but can't make out speech at all. The right ear is better, but I have lost a lot of clarity in that ear in the last six months. Learning to lip read on the fly has been a trip and I just take each day as it comes. Hardest part is "hearing people" not understanding. Anyway, that's my story and I am sticking to it.

(my real name is Elizabeth, but this has been my nick for years.)

Welcome to AD! I was born deaf/hoh. I too have Meniere's Disease. It started after being in an auto accident in 1997. After that my hearing in my left ear had became full stoned deaf and in right a bit decreased. I too have tinnitus and vertigo attacks. I had them almost daily which it sucks. How bad is yours? do you take any medicines for it? I do. I take anti-depression for ear pains and to help me sleep and other one is durietics to dry the fluid up in my ears which it helps somewhat but not 100 percent but thats ok. :)
meanwhile I hope you enjoy the stay with us and happy posting away! :)

Hello and :welcome: to AD! Sorry to learn of your illness affecting your hearing and do hope this site will help you in many ways.

Love your avatar! :)

Freaky Cat and Matilda

Thanks for the welcomes, all of you. It is nice to find a place where people understand what's going on with you because they are going through, or have gone through it themselves. Freaky Cat, my vertigo is minor, which is a blessing. Maybe one bout a day, but only lasts a few seconds. The tinnitus is constant, 24/7 but I have learned to live with it...most of the time. I do have a problem with the sounds of a plane getting ready to take off in my left ear. Kind of drowns everything out till it passes. I am sure that will go away and another sound will take it's place..after all, the chainsaw in the other ear finally ran out of gas:giggle: Because the vertigo is a minor problem, I have done well with a low sodium diet and diuretics.
Matilda, this place has been great and has already helped. Just being able to talk about it has done wonders!:ty:

:welcome: to AllDeaf! I hope ya will enjoy reading and posting. :)

You may want to look into CI for your Menire's......it's supposed to cure tintiutas!

Welcome, ET! AD is a really helpful site; so much information exchanged!

I don't know much about Meniere's, so I've learned some things just from this thread!

My mom has tinnitus, but I don't believe she's been dx'd with Meniere's; but her hearing is not so great, and she often doesn't know I'm talking to her unless we're face to face and I have her attention. She doesn't have the balance/vertigo issues that I'm aware of, so I don't know. I'll have to ask her....now I'm curious.

Sometimes the body can be very frustrating!

Anyway....my point: WELCOME!!!

frogsign, deafdyke and all the others...

Thanks for the warm welcomes and words of encouragement. Yes, a CI would cure the tinnitus since it destroys all remaining hearing, but, since my insurance is Tricare Prime with the military, (hubby RetAF) they won't consider paying for it until ha's no longer work at all for me. Then they will step in and pay for it all. As for MD, it is one of those little known about syndromes that affect a lot of people. Most to a minor degree. I read somewhere that more people have it than have heart disease.
:hmm:
There are a lot of reasons for having tinnitus that aren't MD related so who knows?

Hi,
I guess the reason I joined is to find people that understand where I am coming from. Up until I turned 50 I had "normal" hearing. Then I was diagnosed with Meniere's Disease. Luckily, I have not been hit too hard with Vertigo and balance issues, but I have lost most of my hearing in both ears. I don't wear a HA in the left ear due to nerve damage. I do hear sounds but can't make out speech at all. The right ear is better, but I have lost a lot of clarity in that ear in the last six months. Learning to lip read on the fly has been a trip and I just take each day as it comes. Hardest part is "hearing people" not understanding. Anyway, that's my story and I am sticking to it.

(my real name is Elizabeth, but this has been my nick for years.)

Elizabeth:

You, obviously, know that you are not alone. There are some who can relate to you and there are some who have gone the "silent journey" much longer than you. You couldn't have come to a better place to exchange ideas, feelings, and beliefs.

Welcome.

Wokamuka, thank you so much..responses like yours..and others, are why I know I am in the right place.

Back