Hello! From MI.

KLEE17

Reaction score
I am new in every since of the word. I've been learning ASL for a few months. This is just one step in a right direction. I am deaf and lost my hearing at 21. I felt sorry for myself and secluded myself for several years. I've recently decided to stop feeling sorry for myself and get out there make a life for myself. So here I am looking to meet other deaf/Deaf and hard of hearing people. Also, people who sign. I'm very happy to be here.

Last edited:
Hi, I often go to Deaf Social night at mall in Grand Rapids, MI area. It takes place on Tuesdays. I see more ASL students than deaf/Deaf people those days at mall. If you're in the area and want details, I can help. That goes for anyone who is in Grand Rapids area and want to meet deaf people and practice ASL.

Thanks Derek! Not in that area and don't drive unfortunately. That may change one day though.

I just looked up the difference between deaf and Deaf. I totally get it. I didn't even have to ask. I'm learning.

Welcome Klee17, good to see you here. Enjoy your path of discovery in what not only this forum has to offer, but what others have to offer also. Trust me, I know the challenges in trying to re-engage in life. Each person travels a different path hoping to arrive at the same place, contentment in life. I wish you luck and encouragement.

:welcome: to AllDeaf Forum. I know it is going to be a rocky road to being deaf. Welcome to Deaf Culture. :)

I hope you enjoy reading and posting here. See you around here. :wave:

Hello! And welcome! I lost my hearing at 16, and it's still difficult - yes, but you get used to it over time. Look forward to talking with you!

Hey :)
I know how you feel although I haven't fully lost my hearing, it's getting worse everyday :/
I started learning ASL this year but I find it difficult to communicate with my hearing friends now. I just find it difficult to adjust my life now that I can't always hear everything. How about everyone else who was once hearing?

If they are truly your friends then you will find ways to communicate with them even if it's hard. I can speak fairly well in one to one situations with my friends but no chance in a noisy place. It's really difficult. I don't think I'd go back to not being deaf though, it's who I am!

:welcome:

Been to Michigan plenty of times as my relatives live there.

When my best friend asked me what it was like to not be able to hear sometimes, the silence...
I told her their is something truly beautiful in silence, to (HEAR) the world in a way not many people get to experience :D

Hey :)
I know how you feel although I haven't fully lost my hearing, it's getting worse everyday :/
I started learning ASL this year but I find it difficult to communicate with my hearing friends now. I just find it difficult to adjust my life now that I can't always hear everything. How about everyone else who was once hearing?

Hi, Monie I read your visitor msg on my page, but couldn't figure out how to reply. I know how you feel. I was in College when my hearing started to go. I had people who would laugh at me when I couldn't hear things. It would be friends, family and strangers. It was not a good feeling and that probably contributed to my seclusion for several years. You will just have to encourage yourself and trust that you are here for a reason. That is what I am trying to do. I think joining AllDeaf is a good start and learning ASL. We are literally in the same boat. Stay encouraged and just know you are not alone.

Back