Hello from Hawaii

ktester

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Kea. My husband and I have 4 kids and have just moved here recently. My 2 year old daughter is moderately severe hearing impaired and am looking to meet other mothers, fathers, siblings to meet, talk to and such.

Hi Kea! What brought you to HI? I heard it was pretty. I have four kids as well. My second oldest is hearing impaired. Welcome.

Gotcha! I know all about the military life. My husband just retired from 20 years in the AF. I miss the bases and community ofthe military. Glad to meet you! Hope you like HI. We are actually planning on taking a trip to visit some friends this coming up year. I can't wait to see it in person. :)

Thank you for yours & your husbands service. Be warned Hawaii is a complete cultrual shock and only if you stay in certain areas does it live up to the name paradise.

Thanks to your husband too. How long has he been in? Are you active duty too? I was a dependent not active duty but I will send him your thanks. Yeah, I have heard that it is a culture shock! What are your kids ages, genders? We have 2/2. Julia is about to be 12, Andy about to be 11, Ryan is 7, and Madisyn is about to turn 2 on Thursday! :)

He has been in 10 years in December. No matter whether you were a dependent or a service member you served in my opinion. Military life is not easy. We have 2/2 as well. The 2 oldest are from my husbands previous marriage, which you would have guessed if I had told you I was only 19. There is Janessa 9 in November, Jeremiah & Kayleigh who just shared a birthday, they are 6 and 2, and Braeden who is 9 months. Happy Birthday to your little one! I have posted another tread on here but I guess I am waiting for it to go through review or what not because it has not posted yet.

Hi, my name is Kea. My husband and I have 4 kids and have just moved here recently. My 2 year old daughter is moderately severe hearing impaired and am looking to meet other mothers, fathers, siblings to meet, talk to and such.

hey, I was the same as your daughter before it went on to severe :)
also welcome 2 AD!!!

I love your daughter's name..Janessa is pretty and unique! My oldest's birthday is also in November, the 16. Yeah military life is hard but I enjoyed it and wish he had stayed in. Well I need to go check on dinner. Do you know how to upload a picture to your profile? I wanted to but don't know how on this site.

I do not.. That's why i posted another thread which still hasn't been apporoved. Nor do I know how to change my signature.
@ SafariGirl- her left ear is mild and her right ear is severe.. she hears at 40/80decibels.

I do not.. That's why i posted another thread which still hasn't been apporoved. Nor do I know how to change my signature.
@ SafariGirl- her left ear is mild and her right ear is severe.. she hears at 40/80decibels.

I know, but mine? different story ROFL!!!!!!! I was moderaely severe in both ears before it moved to severe my friend!

AHH, now how does that happen. I didn't think hearing changed unless you got an illness that causes you to lose your hearing. I am sorry, She may be 2 but I am really new to the hearing stuff since no one seemed to worried about it before besides us.

Hello Kea, welcome to Alldeaf enjoy fun! I am experience on hearing aid!

Thanks! Also I have posted another thread in this forum.. titled lost.. feel free to read it and if you can help answer any questions please do so.

Thanks! Also I have posted another thread in this forum.. titled lost.. feel free to read it and if you can help answer any questions please do so.

your welcome sure enjoy fun you feeling free on reading :D

AHH, now how does that happen. I didn't think hearing changed unless you got an illness that causes you to lose your hearing. I am sorry, She may be 2 but I am really new to the hearing stuff since no one seemed to worried about it before besides us.

idk BUT I'm a mystery. *cues the dramatic music*

Welcome Kea!!!!!
You should contact Hawaii School for the Deaf and Blind: HSDB - Hawaii School for the Deaf and the Blind
I know your daughter is only hoh, but she could still benifit from DHH specific programming, as well as ASL etc. Most hoh kids can learn how to hear and speak, but unfortunatly we don't always get Deaf stuff like ASL or exposure to Deaf Schools. We're not suggesting you send her off to the dorms or anything.....LOL....just suggesting that ASL and Deaf stuff might be a really good additional tool to look into. You guys might try it and she might drop it or decide it isn't for her....but you have NO idea how many hoh kids stop by here and say things like " I wish I'd learned ASL and gone to a dhh program. Instead all I got was speech therapy." It might be a useful tool for her....and Deaf ed is getting more and more Hoh friendly, especially with CIs. Don't make the mistake of thinking that she's not "deaf enough"
There's also Hands and Voices: Hands & Voices :: Redirect.
and American Society for Deaf Children: American Society for Deaf Children

Where in Hawaii are you? I have a couple of deaf friends that might help you out if that's the direction you want...

They're located on Oahu right now.

I love your daughter's name..Janessa is pretty and unique! My oldest's birthday is also in November, the 16. Yeah military life is hard but I enjoyed it and wish he had stayed in. Well I need to go check on dinner. Do you know how to upload a picture to your profile? I wanted to but don't know how on this site.

Thats my birthday!!! and Welcome to you both. Most of what you can change is located under user cp, you can add a profile pic at any time, but the signature you have to have a certain number of posts... I don't remember how many though...

I don't have an illness, but I have progressive hearing loss. Also with age hearing gets worse for most people. Hearing can change at any stage in a persons life. I would really suggest learning ASL, and having her learn it too. I started speech therapy when I was three, and wasn't allowed to learn any sign language. Now I am using it as my language of choice, and my primary mode of communication whenever possible. It makes life so much easier for me. My niece who is 3 just got diagnosed with mild to moderate loss, but ASL is still easier for her, she is starting to sign, and it is just so cute! She is starting a BiBi school soon (bi-cultural, bi-lingual, so it teaches about the deaf culture, and the culture of the parents, as well as ASL and english) Feel free to ask any questions here, we will help you out. As long as you have an open mind and are willing to learn about Deaf culture, you will do fine.

Back