Hello from Florida!

Sherlock

Reaction score
Hi! I’m a 21 year-old University student (attending USF-Sarasota, GO BULLS!) in Florida. I’ve been trying to learn ASL on and off again since Elementary school, because the language and culture has always fascinated me. (Maybe it’s my Italian heritage, but talking with your hands has always seemed so beautiful.) I had a friend in high school who was deaf, but he moved here from Scotland, so he used British Sign Language, and when I had to take a language in college I was told ASL didn’t count for my degree (and boy did I have a fit about that!) I’m doing my best to pick up signs from books and the internet, but I’d be really interested in meeting some people who could help me cultivate my signing abilities and teach me about the culture (I’d hate to inadvertently offend anyone just by being ignorant to basic cultural etiquette, you know?) I’d especially love to meet and make friends with people here in Florida, so we could hang out and converse face-to-face. (I love books, but really, they can only teach me so much.)

Hello. Why don't you sign up for an ASL class at a local college?

Hello. Why don't you sign up for an ASL class at a local college?

I take 5 classes a semester towards my degree, and I work part-time as a substitute teaching aide and am a part-time nanny to twin 2 year-olds. Frankly, I can't fit another class into my schedule (the school literally won't let me sign up for more than 5). I'm thinking about maybe finding a way to take an ASL class as an elective if I can fit it in next semester, but I'm a senior and getting ready to transition into a Masters program next year, so it's difficult, to say the least.

Hi and welcome. Wow you are a busy person! I am from Florida originally...missing the sunshine but not the humidity! :) Good luck!

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Hi! I’m a 21 year-old University student (attending USF-Sarasota, GO BULLS!) in Florida. I’ve been trying to learn ASL on and off again since Elementary school, because the language and culture has always fascinated me. (Maybe it’s my Italian heritage, but talking with your hands has always seemed so beautiful.) I had a friend in high school who was deaf, but he moved here from Scotland, so he used British Sign Language, and when I had to take a language in college I was told ASL didn’t count for my degree (and boy did I have a fit about that!) I’m doing my best to pick up signs from books and the internet, but I’d be really interested in meeting some people who could help me cultivate my signing abilities and teach me about the culture (I’d hate to inadvertently offend anyone just by being ignorant to basic cultural etiquette, you know?) I’d especially love to meet and make friends with people here in Florida, so we could hang out and converse face-to-face. (I love books, but really, they can only teach me so much.)

Hello! i'm also in the same boat as you! I'm 21 from New York but im moving to miami FL, next week for college at Barry University. I'm not currently taking classes for sign at college, but self-learning at the moment and looking for deaf friends, fluent asl-er or other beginners who share my love and interest in asl and the culture. Nice to meet you!

Back