Hello from Down Under :)

Boomerang

Reaction score
Hi :wave:
I am from Australia...i am a 40 year old female, who is HOH and never learned sign language, i wish to learn Auslan, are there any Australians in this forum?
I want to express my unhappiness in how i am treated in the community, most people treat me like i am stupid, they are very impatient and inconsiderate. People say i should wear a badge saying i am Deaf, so they know, but all they do is shout! My self esteem is shot to pieces, now i am recluse!
I live with my mum, she does everything for me, but she is getting old and tired now.
I wish Australia had service and respect like you Americans do, we seem to be a third world country who treat people with disabilities with little regard.
Just wanted to say hi, would love to meet new friends
Love Gina

:welcome: to Alldeaf! I am another aussie here and there are few more aussie in this board too.

You could try going to a Deaf society in your state and find out about an Auslan class. I am sure somebody there will help steer you in a right direction with your need.

Anyway, enjoy browsing and posting in Alldeaf. There are many things that are interesting and you will learn from it too. See ya around. :wave:

Hi Boomerang and :welcome: to AD! :)

I am from Aussie, too .... hoh and no sign language. There are very few of us, Aussies here .... some of them do Auslan and oral.

AD is a good place to make friends by reading, posting & generally learn from others. And also, you are not alone in this as you will find we are all in the same boat, the world over.

Never would have thought to have a username as Boomerang ... love it! :)

So enjoy your stay here! :wave:

Hi Boomerang,

Welcome to AD! :) I am a Kiwi living in Aussie.

Hope ya enjoy reading and posting in AD. :)

Boomerang! Welcome to Alldeaf from another fellow Australian!
I understand some of what you are saying and yes, growing up as an hoh in a hearing environment certainly presented many challenges, some of them disheartening. Sometimes we have to push those negative experiences aside and make the most of our situations.

Yes from reading and learning from others online, particularly from USA, it seems that there are so much more opportunities, or services available to the deaf than in Australia. However, there are services and groups in Australia for hoh and deaf people.

I'm not sure where you are in Australia, but if you need help with anything, just drop us a line.

Kangaroo :)

Just want to say Hi and :welcome: to AllDeaf forum here. You are not alone either for us Canada and United States. I am Deaf. I was formerly from U.S.A. (New Mexico, USA). Hope you find something here and have fun with us posting and reading all the threads here. I am sorry that you are going through discrimination and not happy in your community. Listen to all of your new Aussie friends. They do give you sound advice which is good. I hope to see you around soon. :wave:

I want to express my unhappiness in how i am treated in the community, most people treat me like i am stupid, they are very impatient and inconsiderate. People say i should wear a badge saying i am Deaf, so they know, but all they do is shout! My self esteem is shot to pieces, now i am recluse!
. . . . . .
I wish Australia had service and respect like you Americans do, we seem to be a third world country who treat people with disabilities with little regard.

Here in America (US and Canada, but certainly not Mexico and other points south) things are better, but the audists (people who regard deafness as a crime, disease, mental disorder, etc.) are still around, new audists are coming into power every day.

It's getting better here for deafies because of the suffering, sacrifice, and struggle of so many deafies in the past. Many here are saying, signing, and acting out, "I'm fed up with bad treatment and am not going to take it anymore!"

I believe the least you will find here is good information to cope with your deafness where you are. Lots of great Aussies are members.

Welcome!

Thankyou for your warm welcome, i come from a small town in Queensland called Cloncurry and there are no services for the Deaf! the town has 3,900 people, mostly working in agriculture & mining. My mum and i moved here 4 years ago from Townsville to be with my aunt who has since died.

I will browse around the AD forum and meet some more nice people

Gina

:welcome: to AD!

Deaf people here in America are usually treated like 2nd class citizens by the general hearing society on a daily day to day basis. Yes, there is more information and education about ASL and the Deaf community and it has gotten better. However, a majority of hearing people are still ingorant about ASL and our deaf needs.

The oralists do not help at all with their constant misconceptions about ASL and the Deaf community.

Hope u like it here!

G'day mate,

I am another aussie here too and the youngest, I believe! I am deaf and use AUSLAN. Welcome to world of Alldeaf.com! :D Enjoy your stay here! :welcome:

:wave:

Contact Queensland Deaf Society Townsville Branch

2/55 Fulham Road, Pimlico Qld 4812
Ph 07 4725 3607
TTY 07 4725 8025
Fax 07 4725 6485

Auslan Courses

Good luck :)

Back