Hello from DC metro area! Help!

sarah.marcella

Reaction score
Hello!

I reside in Alexandria, VA - just minutes away from DC. I have always been interested in learning ASL with the hopes of becoming an interpreter. I am just starting my journey now at the age of 24. Unfortunately, ASL was not offered in my high school or college. I am researching how to become an interpreter and would love to fully immerse myself in the culture and learn as much as I can.

I am starting with little / no formal knowledge of ASL. I know a couple of phrases, the alphabet and how to count. This fall I am staring continuing education classes at Gallaudet University and plan to learn ASL I-V and finger spelling over the next two years, then get my NIC. Is this a good plan? Any feedback is welcome - I'm really open to any suggestions at all!

I am also hoping to meet up with others who are fluent, learning or would like to learn ASL to practice with. I have a flexible schedule so please if you are interested let me know!

Hello!

I reside in Alexandria, VA - just minutes away from DC. I have always been interested in learning ASL with the hopes of becoming an interpreter. I am just starting my journey now at the age of 24. Unfortunately, ASL was not offered in my high school or college. I am researching how to become an interpreter and would love to fully immerse myself in the culture and learn as much as I can.

I am starting with little / no formal knowledge of ASL. I know a couple of phrases, the alphabet and how to count. This fall I am staring continuing education classes at Gallaudet University and plan to learn ASL I-V and finger spelling over the next two years, then get my NIC. Is this a good plan? Any feedback is welcome - I'm really open to any suggestions at all!

I am also hoping to meet up with others who are fluent, learning or would like to learn ASL to practice with. I have a flexible schedule so please if you are interested let me know!

I can help you get started :)

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf

I know Gallaudet University is offering BA in Interpretation program so I think you might want to check there. :)

A proud Gally alumni.

Gallaudet's instruction is great. I notice a big difference between what I've learned from their on-line classes and what I see with people at local, hearing schools.

:welcome: to AllDeaf Forum. If you want to become ASL interpreter, then you need to go to ASL classes like Gallaudet University to brush or learn alphabet (fingerspell) and proper signs to begin with. It will also teach you about Deaf Culture and about d/Deaf people. It will take about few years to be advanced and then you have to go into the interpreting programs like Royale said.

Here in New Mexico, we have interpreting class at the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque, New Mexico. But you are in the Metro area in DC, so it is better if you can go into Gallaudet University.

You can not teach yourself on learning how to sign ASL. You need to be in the ASL class. So good luck.

I hope you enjoy reading and posting here. See you around here. :wave:

Back