Hello from Cleveland!

rayne127

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

My name is Adam. I'm from Cleveland, OH. My youngest brother has Down syndrome and is HOH. We've always used ASL as a primary means of communication with my brother. However, as he's gotten older his hearing has actually improved! So we use ASL less with him as he's able to better understand speech and communicate that way, although if he's unable to understand something we do use ASL and gesturing.

After I graduated high school (in 2006) I took a year of ASL classes to learn more about ASL and the Deaf culture. It was great and I loved it! I attended a lot of deaf events around Cleveland. Since then I've gone back to school for nursing and really haven't used much ASL except with my family, which isn't much more than the basics since my brother's hearing is better.

I recently started attending more deaf events in my town and am looking to brush up and learn more ASL. I joined this site because it looks like a great resource with a lot of support from other members. I've already found a few wonderful online courses/lessons that I plan on completing. I also hope to become a bigger part of this online community.

I do have Skype, as well as other IM services if anyone would like to chat or practice ASL. My skype name is rayne127. The others are on my profile. I don't usually sign in to those so if anyone wants to chat using anything else, please let me know so I can get online.

I'm looking forward to getting to know some you and hopefully make some new friends!

=)

Hello everyone!

My name is Adam. I'm from Cleveland, OH. My youngest brother has Down syndrome and is HOH. We've always used ASL as a primary means of communication with my brother. However, as he's gotten older his hearing has actually improved! So we use ASL less with him as he's able to better understand speech and communicate that way, although if he's unable to understand something we do use ASL and gesturing.

After I graduated high school (in 2006) I took a year of ASL classes to learn more about ASL and the Deaf culture. It was great and I loved it! I attended a lot of deaf events around Cleveland. Since then I've gone back to school for nursing and really haven't used much ASL except with my family, which isn't much more than the basics since my brother's hearing is better.

I recently started attending more deaf events in my town and am looking to brush up and learn more ASL. I joined this site because it looks like a great resource with a lot of support from other members. I've already found a few wonderful online courses/lessons that I plan on completing. I also hope to become a bigger part of this online community.

I do have Skype, as well as other IM services if anyone would like to chat or practice ASL. My skype name is rayne127. The others are on my profile. I don't usually sign in to those so if anyone wants to chat using anything else, please let me know so I can get online.

I'm looking forward to getting to know some you and hopefully make some new friends!

=)

I see that you are in Cleveland so what do you think do you think of Browns trying to trade up to get Baylor quarter back????

Hello everyone!

except with my family, which isn't much more than the basics since my brother's hearing is better.

=)
Actually keep signing. Do not drop it. His hearing may be better, but overall people with Down's Syndrome and other developmental disabilties really cannot develop sophisciated spoken language. Use both ASL AND speech in other words.

I see that you are in Cleveland so what do you think do you think of Browns trying to trade up to get Baylor quarter back????

Browns have discussed with Rams for no. 2 pick to draft Baylor QB Robert Griffin III.

Haha. Unfortunately, I'm not much of a sports fan!

Actually keep signing. Do not drop it. His hearing may be better, but overall people with Down's Syndrome and other developmental disabilties really cannot develop sophisciated spoken language. Use both ASL AND speech in other words.
We still use both speech and ASL. But I'm pretty much the only one that uses ASL with my brother consistently. My other brother and my mom only use it when they have to.

:wave:....welcome aboard.
Thank you =)

Hello welcome to alldeaf :)
Thank you =)

Back