Hello from Bydgoszcz (Poland)

Ania (Poland)

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
My name is Ania and I study English at the Kazimierz Wielki University in Bydgoszcz, Poland. I'm not a native speaker of English so sorry for the mistakes that I make.
I'm hearing, but I'm interested in deaf communication (I know some simple signs of Polish Sign Language.) Unfortunately, I can't use ASL to communicate, but I know something about its history and I'd like to find out more.
I'm writing to you because I need help. I'm thinking about writing my thesis on deaf culture but I have trouble finding good materials and sources. Basically, I'd like to prove that Deaf people in the United States do have their own unique culture. I know it's obvious to you, and it's also obvious to me, that they do. But it seems that there are people who doubt it or simply do not know much about it. That's why I want to write about it.
If you think it's a good/bad idea, or you have or know about interesting sources on the Internet that I could use, please write to me. I'll be grateful for any help :) Thanks :)
Have a nice day!

Welcome to AD.

Yup, Deaf Culture rocks!

I encourage you to read everything this forum. This is the only way for you to read it. This forum will help you to understad better and know how to ask the right questions. Happy Posting! :D

Welcome Ania. I am hearing also but am losing my hearing. I had a tumor in the inner auditory canal removed and it left me with hearing loss and a constant echo which also interfers with my ability to hear. I started learning ASL in the mid 1980's because I wanted to be an interpreter, but had to give it up because i was self supporting and my full time job came first. I returned to ASL classes the the local DSC (Deaf Service Center) in Ft Myers, FL. I'm at the point now where I need to be interacting with the Deaf community to progress. I'm 61 yrs old now and don't know any Deaf. I will stick to it though. I congratulate you on your efforts to learn and to understand. I'd say a good paper to write is one explaining how many, many Deaf are so involved in their own culture, they have no desire to have their hearing and want their babies to be deaf as well. Of course, there are always some that this doesn't apply to, but my guess is it would be mostly those that lost their hearing after having it for some time. Anyway, welcome and happy studying.

Thank you all for a very warm welcome!
I hope that thanks to this forum and thanks to having contact with you I'll menage to learn more about the Deaf community and I'll understand better the situation of the Deaf.
Brenda, I hope you'll succeed in getting in touch with the Deaf community and I'm crossing my fingers that you'll menage to fulfil your dream of being an interpreter. I'm very happy that you replied to what I wrote and that you told me about yourself. One of the issues that I'd like to find out more about is the situation of people who lost their hearing or became hard of hearing. I've read somewhere that the Deaf community is a hermetic world and it's very hard for people who have lost their hearing at some point of their life or for those who are losing it to become a part of it. However, I'm not quite sure if it's true... I understand that the language barrier is a problem, but it seems to me that it might not only be that. I think that the whole matter is a bit more complicated. I'd be very happy to find out what you all think about it. :)

Back