Hello from a newbie.

jfinner1

Reaction score
Hello everyone! My name is Jessyca, I'm 24 years old, and I live in Akron, Ohio, USA. My mother is a history teacher, but she originally wanted to teach Deaf Education. When I was 5yo, I attended some ASL classes with her (when she couldn't find a sitter), and I have always been interested in learning the language. But ASL wasn't offered at my high school, and I can't afford college at the moment. I've looked around my area for any sort of community learning classes, but so far, no luck. So I'm going to try to teach myself. (Good luck with that, right?) I've always had a hard time with learning a new language (I failed high school Spanish two years in a row), but I'm really hoping that if I take it slow and try to learn at my own pace, I might have better luck with ASL.

I am NOT looking for a study buddy. Don't get me wrong, it would be cool, but I don't have a web-cam or anything, and I don't see why I should come here and ask for free tutoring. What I am looking for is a place to learn about the deaf culture and community,etiquette, and some other technical questions. I'm sure that at some point I will ask a question that is considered rude, or say something that really shows my ignorance. I hope that everyone can be patient with me. Thank you.

Hiya Jessyca, I'm learning BSL at the mo and I'm teaching my self, I found this website that when you type a word or phrase in it comes up with a video of someone doing the signs for what you have typed, and it does it in many different languages as well.

It's called. Sign language dictionary - SPREADTHESIGN. All you do is go to the site and type straight in the box at the top of the page what you would like to translate and then click on the flag of the country you would like to see the signs for.

Hope this helps you.

James. (26)

Back