Hello from a mainstreemed deafie

duuhASL

Reaction score
:wave: Hello, My name is AllyKat and i went deaf 5 years ago. I am presently 13 years old, in ninth grade and i go to a normal public school. When i was really little i started loosing my hearing and my parents took me to the John Tracy Clinic. Now i am a really good speech reader, and im trying to learn asl as a language in school, i came on this site because i dont know any other Deaf people and i want to start joining the community.
thnx, The Kat :deaf:

:welcome: and glad you are learning ASL and a good speechreader! :)

Welcome!!!!!! Are you doing OK in school, especially socially? What state are you in? Maybe you could look into attending a high school with a regional dhh program, where you could learn ASL or EVEN a Deaf School. It's actually not unheard of, for teens to transfer to dhh programs or Deaf Schools around middle or high school, b/c of that time of life being so bad.
And believe it or not, there are some very decent Deaf Schools out there. Many of them are hard of hearing/oral deaf friendly, especially the larger ones.
Another possibilty is going to a Deaf Camp. Gally University actually has Deaf Camps for dhh teens. Summer Camps for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Children and Teens

There are Gally University camps for dhh teens...and even one for kids who want to become fluent in ASL. Unfortunatly that is now full :(
Are you into theatre? The Play's the Thing
Contact your state's Deaf school and see if they have summer programs...there's a lot of good Deaf stuff out there!

Back