Hello Everyone!

Emmer

Reaction score
Hello everyone! My nickname is Emmer, I am hearing, however I have an auditory processing disorder, which means that I don't hear things "right." For example, you might say "dog" and I might think you said "bog," "frog," "sob," etc. I am oral and speak well I think except that I have trouble with my R's, especially paired with U's (ie. ruler or February). I have recently discovered ASL and the Deaf community though a Deaf friend I met online at another forum.

In quiet environments, my hearing is okay and I can figure out well enough what is said, at least well enough to fill in the blanks with what I miss. In a loud environment, I have much difficulty, even when trying to read lips some. I often have to ask people to repeat over and over again. I also always watch television or movies with subtitles as with background noises and music I cannot understand and it is even more difficult with cartoons with no real lips to watch.

I am a very visual person and in order to understand someone talking, I must picture what they are saying (ie. if you say the dog chased the cat, I picture literally a dog, then chase, then cat). This is difficult for words such as hope, learning, etc. I discovered that ASL is a way to speak in "pictures" completely avoiding the difficulty of trying to understand what someone is trying to say by interpreting sounds into pictures.

Though I knew a few things in sign before meeting my friend, it was all Exact English Sign, so I am trying to learn the ASL syntax. I would like to practice, so here is a short conversation I can have as I know the signs for this and also think that I know the syntax correctly.

Hello! Me name e-m-m-e-r. Nice meet you. Me take-up ASL. Why? Me enjoy. More ASL learn, me ready.

I would love it if you could correct anything I did wrong. I wish I had a video camera, then I could record it and you could actually see it. Then you could tell me if I am correct or not. For example, the sign for the equivalent of the English "nice to meet you" is two signs - nice and meet. But meet means me-meet-you I think because of how the hands move (sides inward - meet, hand toward me moves toward the hand by you means me-meet-you). But how would you write this online?

I am very excited to learn about the Deaf community. I have bought a book called Deaf in America which is about Deaf culture. My friend recommended it and I am finding it so good. I have traveled quite a bit in my life to different countries and I personally love learning about different cultures. The way I see it, the Deaf community is a culture and I would like to read all about it as much as I can, just like I did when learning about Australian culture or Korean culture. There are some really neat things you can learn about people by learning about their culture and I suspect this will also be true of the Deaf culture.

I do know that reading about a culture is good and helpful, but it is not the same as actually being in the culture. Even meeting someone from that culture within your own culture (ie. exchange students) is so much better than just reading about it.

I was wondering, I am a college student and there are all sorts of study programs where you travel to a different culture and study. Is there any sort of thing like this for people to learn about the Deaf? I would very much like to spend a summer among a Deaf community and/or in a Deaf family. Does anyone know of a program like that? How can I find a Deaf community near my school?

I hope that you will welcome me into your community, though I am not Deaf or even deaf. I want to learn about you and understand you. I hope you will post here in ASL syntax if you are more comfortable because I want to learn it as quickly as possible. I am sorry I must write in spoken syntax for now while I am learning.

SmithTR, I just wanted to thank you for using ASL syntax when discussing things on the forum, it is really helping me to learn more quickly ASL!

Welcome to AD Emmer! There was a thread lying around here somewhere focused on ASL syntex... I might have stepped on it a time or two, but feel free to rummage around, I'm sure it will turn up! :)

Okay, I am somewhat embarassed to share this with all of you, but I figured out how to make a video with my web cam. So, you can watch my poor attempt at signing here. I would love constructive criticism, especially if I said something completely wrong. I do know I messed up the first part of processing.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulz9anLjWn0]My first ASL video - YouTube[/ame]

Okay, I am somewhat embarassed to share this with all of you, but I figured out how to make a video with my web cam. So, you can watch my poor attempt at signing here. I would love constructive criticism, especially if I said something completely wrong. I do know I messed up the first part of processing.

Emmer, I thought your video was fantastic!!! :) you looked more relaxed than most new signers. Keep it up, you are obviously on the right track! :)

Thanks! I'm glad that it isn't too bad. I will admit, I had to do about 10 takes because I forgot a sign or didn't like how it went the first few times. I'm mostly learning from a book and looking things up on this site - http://www.aslpro.com/cgi-bin/aslpro/aslpro.cgi to completely understand since the book is a little confusing. I like this site because I think the facial expressions are good with the words, which helps me learn that more than just looking at a still picture in the book. I'm really hoping to join the ASL night class at my college, but it seems no one knows anything about it...

Last edited:
Emmer, honestly you are doing pretty good and you did some expressions which is good for a start. Just keep practicing and go to deaf social events and you will do much better! :)

I got into the ASL class at my school! It took a lot of running around from building to building and a few e-mails, but I'm signed up. The class starts on September 19, so not for a few weeks. I'm going to keep practicing until then. I am very excited to be able to have real feedback about my signing (though you guys are great!). My dog is sure I'm crazy because I stand by the mirror and wave my hands all over while wording stuff. She thinks my time would be better spent petting her, but I disagree!

Back