Hello everyone!

Happy2BMe

Reaction score
I start a ASL class in September. It's a 10 week course meeting 1 time a week for 3 hours a night. It's taught by someone from the Indiana Association of the Deaf and taught at the Indiana School for the Deaf.

I am HOH and very excited to learn, but I'm afraid that I won't do a good job at remembering everything. I don't want to learn it and lose it. I have joined Skype in hope to practice with others when the time comes.

So Hi everyone :lol:

The language is such a picture language that you won't lose it. Trust me. As long as you practice, all the pictures will stick in your head.

Good luck in your course!

How exciting !!

Just practice, practice, practice and you'll retain it easily (For me, learning ASL made so much "sense" to me as a Hoh person that it was just natural to learn ... though I know it's not like that for all hoh/deaf learning SL)

If you have no one to practice with - see if any of your ASL classmates are in the same situation and live close enough to meet during the week ... or have webcams that you could sign with while both in the comfort of your own homes. Also signing to yourself while laying in bed, or in a mirror etc helps a lot too :)

The more you use it, the faster you'll pick it up and better you'll retain it
Many people here have skype, ooVoo, Yahoo etc once you get started :)

Back