Hello Everyone

MarcoA

Reaction score
Good evening friends......I am new to alldeaf so bear with me while I stumble through an intro.

I am a hearing guy that spent about 27-years in the Public Safety, Public Policy arena. Over the years, I have had the distinct pleasure of working with some outstanding people within the Deaf community. In doing so, I saw an area where my chosen profession was sorely lacking in a basic understanding of a segment of the American family......the Deaf community.

In response to this identified need, the Missouri Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing and I, developed a training program for police officers, called "Officer, I Can't Hear You." I am no longer involved in the delivery of this program but continue to write and study several issues relating to the relationship between a Deaf individual and the Criminal Justice System.

The reason I have joined this site is to learn from you. Even though my career was in the enforcement side of Criminal Justice, my Master's Degree is in Criminal Justice, with an emphasis in Corrections. I am considering doing my Doctoral thesis on the issue of reasonable accommodations and effective communications for Deaf individuals who find themselves thrown into the hearing world of the Criminal Justice system. But, before I can even consider this.....I need to learn from you.

If you would like to educate me with all your infinite wisdom, I would consider any opportunity to develop a friendship as a great honor and privilege to make your acquaintance.

Thank you and I can also be contacted at matapia1@cougars.ccis.edu

Marco

Welcome Aboard

Thanks Rockin......I appreciate the welcome!!!!!

:welcome: to AllDeaf Forum. I hope we can ask you questions also. We can learn from each other about Justice and laws. We will take one step at a time learning about all those lessons. I hope you enjoy reading and posting here. See you around here. :wave:

welcome.. so what would you like to know more about the Deaf community? mind you that there are so MANY people with hearing loss who knows nothing about ASL or Deaf culture. Therefore, they are completely different than the Deaf culture such as attitude approaches or self esteem issues. So how will you learn from either that non deaf culture with people who have hearing loss vs Deaf culture.

welcome.. so what would you like to know more about the Deaf community? mind you that there are so MANY people with hearing loss who knows nothing about ASL or Deaf culture. Therefore, they are completely different than the Deaf culture such as attitude approaches or self esteem issues. So how will you learn from either that non deaf culture with people who have hearing loss vs Deaf culture.

Would you mind elaborating a little deeper and explain what the differences are in your opinion.

I have an inherited hearing loss problem. My hearing took a sudden drop in 2006 leaving me with no hearing in my left ear and a profound hearing loss in my right ear. I use a hearing aid in my right ear.

I've continued to function in my world with many difficulties. Basically ASL is useless for me in my world. No matter where I go, restaurants, grocery stores, shopping malls, banks ect, ect, no one is providing or using ASL. I either have to hear the best I can or read lips to communicate.

I wind up in a lot of trouble at times because people will say hello to me or say something to me but I don't hear them. They get angry and think I am a snob. People who know me will touch my forearm to get my attention before they speak to me.

Would you mind elaborating a little deeper and explain what the differences are in your opinion.

I have an inherited hearing loss problem. My hearing took a sudden drop in 2006 leaving me with no hearing in my left ear and a profound hearing loss in my right ear. I use a hearing aid in my right ear.

I've continued to function in my world with many difficulties. Basically ASL is useless for me in my world. No matter where I go, restaurants, grocery stores, shopping malls, banks ect, ect, no one is providing or using ASL. I either have to hear the best I can or read lips to communicate.

I wind up in a lot of trouble at times because people will say hello to me or say something to me but I don't hear them. They get angry and think I am a snob. People who know me will touch my forearm to get my attention before they speak to me.

If you were speaking about Deaf culture vs hearing loss people with no experience of interacting with other deaf people? I suggest you to read every threads on thread that you will see the differences in all of us. If not, ask again, if you can .

If you were speaking about Deaf culture vs hearing loss people with no experience of interacting with other deaf people? I suggest you to read every threads on thread that you will see the differences in all of us. If not, ask again, if you can .

I've been interacting with deaf people all my life but I would like your take on Deaf culture vs Hearing loss people with no experience of interacting with other deaf people. What is your definition of "Deaf culture?"

I've been interacting with deaf people all my life but I would like your take on Deaf culture vs Hearing loss people with no experience of interacting with other deaf people. What is your definition of "Deaf culture?"

I think you can look up the google that there are plenty of Deaf Culture that relates with ASL, social beliefs,values, behaviors,history,history and more.

If you have been interacting with deaf people, so are they speaking, just like you? Then it is not a deaf culture but you can create a new culture for deaf oral culture if you wish.

Back