Hello :D

sampaguita

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

How are you? I was debating alot whether or not to make an introduction message, but I gathered my courage. I’m really determined to learn ASL and have only just started. One of my friends suggested I learn more about culture before I throw myself into something and I can’t thank her enough. The Deaf Community is really fascinating and I joined the forum so I could learn more and make new friends. I’m going to start an ASL class in September so I hope I won’t stay totally ignorant for much longer. Any recommendations for me I would very much appreciate. I haven’t even made my way to the faux pas sections of any of my reading.

I’m a 19 year old hearie (is it okay if I use that?) down here in the sunshine state (but I think they lie about that sunshine, haha), and I just started learning so please be patient with me!

Jasmine

Hello. What about the Deaf community do you find fascinating ?

Hello. What about the Deaf community do you find fascinating ?

Hello Bottesini and JClarke!

To answer your question... Its an entirely different culture that I never really took the time to think about, deafness versus hearing impairment versus identification as Deaf or how that affected others. I just always thought ASL was beautiful. It just wasn't it my realm of experience. I have a friend to thank for opening my eyes. I hope I don't sound self-absorbed or too naive.... :(

I hope I am not going to far, and disabuse me of any wrong assumptions please. I am here to learn and make friends. But it(this) is a community, a place to connect. I don't know if I will ever fit in, but I will try. Does that make sense?

Hello Bottesini and JClarke!

To answer your question... Its an entirely different culture that I never really took the time to think about, deafness versus hearing impairment versus identification as Deaf or how that affected others. I just always thought ASL was beautiful. It just wasn't it my realm of experience. I have a friend to thank for opening my eyes. I hope I don't sound self-absorbed or too naive.... :(

I hope I am not going to far, and disabuse me of any wrong assumptions please. I am here to learn and make friends. But it(this) is a community, a place to connect. I don't know if I will ever fit in, but I will try. Does that make sense?

Yes, of course it makes sense. Good luck in your quest. :wave:

Believe me, I know exactly what you are going through. I also am a hearie and I had my first day I started here. There are a lot of great people here on this website as well as in the Deaf community. Of which JClarke and Bottesini are some of them. Never be afraid to ask any questions because heaven knows I have asked a TON!!! lol. Good luck on your adventure and I hope everything goes smoothly for you.

You will fit in just like all of us "hearies" here do. Everyone here has been so nice to me. :) I am hearing and teaching myself ASL since Feb of this year. I Love it!!

Yes, of course it makes sense. Good luck in your quest. :wave:

Thank you Bottesini for making me feel so welcomed. This quest will definitely be neverending! :D

Believe me, I know exactly what you are going through. I also am a hearie and I had my first day I started here. There are a lot of great people here on this website as well as in the Deaf community. Of which JClarke and Bottesini are some of them. Never be afraid to ask any questions because heaven knows I have asked a TON!!! lol. Good luck on your adventure and I hope everything goes smoothly for you.

Thank you Celticty! I will try to let go of my natural reticence in asking questions. I have tendency to be shy if I'm unsure. When did you start learning ASL?

You will fit in just like all of us "hearies" here do. Everyone here has been so nice to me. :) I am hearing and teaching myself ASL since Feb of this year. I Love it!!

Wow, that is so impressive. I looked at your youtube video and you have just progressed so far. I don't know if I could do that in only six months. How much time do you normally spend practicing a day? :O

Thank you Celticty! I will try to let go of my natural reticence in asking questions. I have tendency to be shy if I'm unsure. When did you start learning ASL?

I started spring last year. I am working toward ASL 4 now. I will have to wait though because I have a baby on the way.

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I hope you have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around. :wave:

I started spring last year. I am working toward ASL 4 now. I will have to wait though because I have a baby on the way.

Aw, I'm sorry, but also congratulations! Do you know if it is a boy or girl?

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I hope you have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around. :wave:

Thank you so much! I have already been lurking through some of the old posts just reading. I never knew there were three different types of sign language, but SEE and PSE are not related to ASL and I am learning a little more about how people on this forum feel about each.

Aw, I'm sorry, but also congratulations! Do you know if it is a boy or girl?

Thank you so much! I have already been lurking through some of the old posts just reading. I never knew there were three different types of sign language, but SEE and PSE are not related to ASL and I am learning a little more about how people on this forum feel about each.

We find out on September 3rd so one week away.

Wow, that is so impressive. I looked at your youtube video and you have just progressed so far. I don't know if I could do that in only six months. How much time do you normally spend practicing a day? :O

Thank you so much! I don't exactly schedule a certain amount of time... I just mainly work on songs, and I chat on the webcam as much as I can (which is not enough, but oh well... life gets in the way. lol) I am able to work on ASL quite a bit while I'm at work... I work evening shift and it's pretty quiet, so I keep busy! ;) And I practice by trying to read others' signs in videos on YouTube. I have been to a couple Deaf events and am going again in about a week, and I have promised myself I am going to go up and introduce myself to more people this time! Ha ha!

Back