Hello! Are the hearing invited?

KatieTheActivist

Reaction score
Hello! My name is Katie. I am hearing and I don't know anyone deaf or HoH but I'm very interested in ASL and deaf culture and I always have questions.
I don't want to start fights with anyone, so I thought I'd establish whether hearing people are welcome.

Nuke away! :)

I may not know much about the deaf culture, but will try to best of my ability :)

I'm sure there are a lot of people in Ohio area that would help you with ASL. I don't know how far St. Rita's is from you. YOu would check for Deaf Events there.

Thanks. I'm looking for other places to learn ASL in Ohio, around Akron. Right now, Lifeprint is my best friend.

In case you haven't already, you might want to do a search in this forum for "deaf culture" or something similar. Quite a few hearies have come and go and there are a lot of threads already on this topic.

Lifeprint? Is that ASL site or something? any good?

Lifeprint is a great site for learning ASL. I recommend Aslpro for fingerspelling. I would suggest starting with Aslpro and then go to Lifeprint. I cannot remember if it was Aslpro.com or Aslpro.org.

I learned the ASL alphabet about two years ago so my finger spelling is pretty smooth, although my finger spell READING is still primitive. I do use AslPro though! I also own the book Talking with your Hands, Listening with your Eyes.

I learned the ASL alphabet about two years ago so my finger spelling is pretty smooth, although my finger spell READING is still primitive. I do use AslPro though! I also own the book Talking with your Hands, Listening with your Eyes.

I noticed that the main issue with hearing people reading fingerspellings is that they tend to look at fingers instead of face, the line around mouth to lower nose... That is where you should look at while reading fingerspellings.

hope this helps.

I'm hearing as well and am already taking ASL 2 but I'd like to actually make deaf friends I feel as if it would be easier to communicate than just being in a classroom with all hearing students and a hearing teacher. We have a deaf community in my city but I'm not exactly sure how to go about meeting deaf people around my age. Any suggestions??

Good luck to you with that! I'm not sure. I live in Ohio and found a page on Facebook for the "ASL club of Ohio" or something like that. They have events that I think hearies are welcome to attend, although they're usually quite far from where I live. Maybe in your state there is an equivalent!
About the book I mentioned--I wouldn't recommend it. I didn't like it very much and when I finally looked it up I found really negative reviews from people who had been signing their whole life. Lifeprint is pretty great. I'm going to try and focus on their lessons while I wait until I can take ASL classes at my local university through their PSEOP program.

Back